Alexa UK vs Alexa ES and Google Play Store questions

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
zanuck
Resident

Alexa UK vs Alexa ES and Google Play Store questions

Postby zanuck » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:56 pm

We have a holiday home here; I have an Amazon Alexa in England and bought one for our house in Caleta.

It works fine, until I want "her" to play Rock FM or any other Spanish radio station, when she gives me some English "equivalent".

Any idea how I can persuade Alexa to play Spanish radio stations (as well as ones that I can play in the UK)?

I do not have an Amazon Prime account in either country.

I have bought goods from both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.es in the past.

Similarly, in the UK, on my UK Android cellphone I have the LIDL app, but cannot download the LIDL.es app onto my phone from the Google Play Store, any thoughts how I can download the Spanish version alongside my UK version? My Google account is the UK version, can I have both a UK and .es one on my phone simultaneously?

Thanks - zanuck

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alexa UK vs Alexa ES and Google Play Store questions

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:06 pm

zanuck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:56 pm My Google account is the UK version, can I have both a UK and .es one on my phone simultaneously?

Thanks - zanuck
Yes, that is the way to do it.
I have multiple Google accounts on my Android phone.
I use whichever one that gives me access to the apps I want to download.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:15 pm

As I don’t listen to Spanish radio, I don’t have this problem but I do have problems with Alexa recognising stuff I need in Spain.
I think this might be quite complicated to solve. The problem might also be with language.
You can ask Alexa to recognise both Spanish and English then ask it in Spanish to play the station you would like .

Other things to try In the Alexa app, go to the device and change its location to the Spanish one, activate the TuneIn skill and ask Tunein to play local stations. I think each device can be in different locations.

The problem is if Alexa recognises only English, you have to pronounce Spanish words as you would read them in English. I have Alexa in the car and it’s vey difficult to ask for directions. And when I ask for the weather forecast. It pronounces my area in a really weird way.

Tell us how you got on with your fix that you wrote about in your OP because it might be a solution to my other problems.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:25 am

I have linked my Alexa in Spain to my apple music account so i can request any music I like.

Another tip you may or may not know about, When you walk in at night if you say Alexa I’m home it gives you the days news headlines. Brilliant.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:26 am

gerryh, markwilding - thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll try them out over the weekend.

daveboy - tried your Alexa tip this morning, "she" responded "Well, hello; I'm very happy (that) you're here". I'll try it again this evening and see if she gives me the headlines.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:18 pm

For spanish radios stations,for example if i say play europa fm i get europa fm from serbia! So i say play europa fm madrid and it works. Theres another radio app aswell that helps with playing local stations. Trying to think of it off the top of my head....

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:52 am

zanuck wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:26 am gerryh, markwilding - thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll try them out over the weekend.

daveboy - tried your Alexa tip this morning, "she" responded "Well, hello; I'm very happy (that) you're here". I'll try it again this evening and see if she gives me the headlines.
maybe only a UK option because my Alexa was purchased in the uk and its logged onto a uk amazon account.

Elle57

Postby Elle57 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:06 am

I have a problem getting Music Unli.ited. I live in Casares. I bought Echo and managed it to "talk" to TV. I get Amazon music fine but not Music Unlimited, even though it accepted my subscription from Spain.

Any help would be appreciated.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:55 am

I found that when I came back to the UK, I couldn't get my Alexa Echo to play Talk Radio Europe, but after some help from their Assistant Station Manager, and properly reading their help pages, I learnt how to do it:-

"If you’re listening in the UK, please install the ‘Simple Radio’ skill on your Alexa by saying “Alexa Enable Simple Radio skill”. Alexa will then ask which station you want to play. Say “Talk Radio Europe Spain” On an ongoing basis simply say “Alexa, ask Simple Radio to play Talk Radio Europe Spain”, every time you want to connect."

Perhaps Simple Radio is the other radio app that markwilding was trying to think of and maybe it's the tool that you need Elle57?

Elle57

Postby Elle57 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:35 am

Hi Zanuk. Thanks for taking trouble to reply. My problem is I cannot get Amazon "Music Unlimited" which as access to 75 million songs. I can, however, get Amazon "Music" which is the free service. I'm going to try again after 21 November when my subscription to "Music Unlimited" ends. There is an option that says "Echo" for 3.99€ per month. I'll keep this topic updated if I get anywhere! BTW how do I quote only part of your post in my reply like you have done? Thanks ever so!

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:12 am

Elle57 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:35 am BTW how do I quote only part of your post in my reply like you have done? Thanks ever so!
Press the reply with quote and delete the text that is not required.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:01 am

Or as I did, select the text you want to use, copy it, then when ready to insert it into your post type a quotation mark and paste it, and add another quotation mark after it. "BTW how do I quote only part of your post in my reply like you have done? " like that.

The advantage of daveboy's method, is that it includes the name of the person whose quote it is.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 am

zanuck wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:01 am The advantage of daveboy's method, is that it includes the name of the person whose quote it is.
Its also the correct way of doing it, so please use that method.

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:16 am

I'm already standing in the corner, facing the wall... :oops:

Elle57

Postby Elle57 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:03 am

All help appreciated!

Elle57

Postby Elle57 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:22 am

Hi everyone. Just an update.... I've managed to secure "Music Unlimted"! Apparently you have to use the same device from where you subscribed. In my case it was my mobile but it couldn't transfer to Echo. So after the three-month free trial period which ended yesterday I asked it to play Loius Armstrong. She replied this music not available on Amzon Music, but was available on Music Unlimited and would I like to try a month-free subscription and thereafter 3.99euros per month.This was Music" to my ears, ha ha! So,, now finally after all reading and help I've succeeded. It's connected to Echo which whilst not tried will probably like "Music" be connected to TV. Ijust have to come out of Echo from mobile and tap the option connect to Oled TV.

So very many thanks to everyone!

Elle