Second SIM

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Second SIM

Postby LifeofBrian » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi Guys,
I need a Spanish phone number to open an online account with BBVA apparently. I took my S7 (with UK number)to the Vodafone store thinking it had dual sim capability but on buying the card I see that UK S7's don't have this function. Darn! So, having bought the sim I took it home and thought, well, at least I can use the thing when I need to anyway. Just pop out my usual sim and place the LOWI sim in temporarily. However a pop-up said to unlock the card with a pin number (provided with the card) which I did and then I was asked to put in a PUK number, which I did and....nothing. Anyone know anything about how to proceed from here? Perhaps if I go into the bank itself they may find a way for me to use my UK number?? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Second SIM

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:04 am

Is your UK phone open or is it locked to your provider?

A simpler option would be to buy a cheap basic open phone and use the Spanish SIM in that. I have a drawer full of them.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:26 am

Hi,

Some S7's have Dual SIM..............on single SIM carrier

https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2016/0 ... galaxy-s7/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 am

and iphone have dual sim but they only have 1 sim card slot. The other sim is a virtual one. Your phone may have the same system. Call your original supplier.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 am

If you go into settings and connections, then click on SIM card manager, it should show whether you have dual SIM or not. Mine shows SIM 1 and 2 (I have only one card in one of my phones so it shows 'No SIM card' under number 2) but my other phone has two SIMS and lists them. Mine are only cheap basic Samsung but both are dual. There's only one slot where the tray is and it holds the two SIMS and the mini SD card.

As Beach says, the phone may be locked to your UK provider in which case you wouldn't be able to just swop over. I think there are a number of occasions here of needing a Spanish phone to register for services so it may be best to buy a cheapie second phone if yours definitely doesn't have dual capabilities.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:05 pm

You could get it unlocked if thats whats needed but as others says it will probably be the same price as buying a "brick" phone to use for banking etc

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi All,
Yup tried most of those options. There is no sim card manager under 'connections' so presumably mine (bought in UK) does not have that option. In any case I have looked and there is no place a second sim fits. Yes, I could buy a cheap mobile but I am trying to make this work in the first instance and would prefer all my apps on one mobile. They offered me a cheap phone in the shop as the second sim didn't fit so I am aware of the option. I have been on the technical 'chat' line with the UK Vodafone guys, who were great by the way, but still no solution. So, I am about to try the web chat for Spanish Vodafone tech chaps (the UK guys gave me the details) and see what can be done. Phew, gonna be quite a trip around the block methinks! Listen, I appreciate the help from you guys. Any more suggestions do please feel free. Big shout out for the Forum.