IPTV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

IPTV

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:11 pm

We may need to change our IPTV supplier soon.
Considering "UKTV in spain" ,(who advertise regularly in Euro Weekly News) Does anyone have any experience with this supplier? They seem very professional on the phone.Plus their package is exactly what we are looking for.
Cheers JB

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: IPTV

Postby daveboy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:07 pm

A friend uses the company with very few problems. He is happy.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks Daveboy.
That's good to hear.
They want an annual payment up-front.
A bit hesitant as we have no idea of the quality.
Thanks again.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm

They are all going to get closed down by the police eventually. Its not a question of if, just a question of when.

That's why they want the money up front.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:38 pm

I agree Sid.
Still happy to take that chance.However,as explained, not happy about paying up front without knowing the quality.If I knew it was good I'd do it.
(We pay our current provider monthly.)

Presumably there is no "legal" way of watching UK tv in Spain.So every ex-pat is likely to lose their telly?
Still we have sunshine & Rioja :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:18 pm

There is still the option of the main UK channels on Intelsat. Probably not 100% legal but you are extremely unlikely to have anyone chasing you.

Of course there are all the free UK catch-up channels which only need a VPN or Smart DNS system to get round the geolocation problems. I can’t see the BBC chasing you on that either. It’s up to them to strengthen their anti VPN/ DNS software if they are really concerned about it.

The killer for most users is the sport channels. These are nearly all subscription channels and these are the ones that are being challenged legally as the owners of the broadcasting rights are bleeding money.

Some people still use Sky and pay a sub. That’s not illegal, just a breach of contract. The problem with Sky is that the main UK channels (BBC ITV) etc cannot be received in southern Spain without a huge dish.

Failing all those, as you say, Rioja and sun is pretty good.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 am

It amazes me that,despite many IPTV suppliers being shut-down, firms(,like the afore mentioned "UKTV IN SPAIN" )are happy to place regular quarter-page ads in a newspaper; seemingly without any concern. :?

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 am

When they close them down within a few days they are back up. They email you a new link and away you go for another 8 or 9 months. Just asked my friend and he has never been down for more than a week.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:44 am

Cheers.
Your friend is using the supplier I am considering?
If so I think I'll give them a miss.I don't fancy paying €175 up front for a service which regularly shuts me down.
( I've been with my current supplier for 6 years; excellent uninterrupted service)
Thanks for the heads-up Daveboy; much appreciated.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 am

jonbar.1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:44 am Cheers.
Your friend is using the supplier I am considering?
If so I think I'll give them a miss.I don't fancy paying €175 up front for a service which regularly shuts me down.
( I've been with my current supplier for 6 years; excellent uninterrupted service)
Thanks for the heads-up Daveboy; much appreciated.
He just told me 3 shut downs in 4 years, 2 of those were for less than 3 days and one was 6 or 7 days.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:31 am

jonbar.1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 am It amazes me that,despite many IPTV suppliers being shut-down, firms(,like the afore mentioned "UKTV IN SPAIN" )are happy to place regular quarter-page ads in a newspaper; seemingly without any concern. :?
Why would they care if they are getting paid upfront. A nice little earner. Even more so if they get shut down. Money for nothing.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:33 am

The worrying thing is that they are starting to go for the users. In a recent purge in Italy, 1800 users were charged with receiving stolen goods!

https://www.italy24news.com/business/228152.html

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:09 am

The alternative which works for me Is Sky Go. If anyone has a relative or friend who subscribes to Sky in the UK but doesn't use the online version, then they might be open to allowing you to use it. It's not perfect because there are limitations to how I can be seen on a big TV.

Only by connecting a computer or on a game consul such as a PlayStation or Xbox can it be seen on my main TV, not a problem for me because we have a PS4. It works with PS3 as well and they can be bought for around 50 Euros.

The way TV is viewed by more and more people means that Live TV is not as important as before and even though Sky-go has more or less the same options as the Satellite version with the exception of the BBC channels, apart few Sport, most programmed are watched on catch up anyway..

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am

markwilding wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:09 am The alternative which works for me Is Sky Go. If anyone has a relative or friend who subscribes to Sky in the UK but doesn't use the online version, then they might be open to allowing you to use it. It's not perfect because there are limitations to how I can be seen on a big TV.

Only by connecting a computer or on a game consul such as a PlayStation or Xbox can it be seen on my main TV, not a problem for me because we have a PS4. It works with PS3 as well and they can be bought for around 50 Euros.

The way TV is viewed by more and more people means that Live TV is not as important as before and even though Sky-go has more or less the same options as the Satellite version with the exception of the BBC channels, apart few Sport, most programmed are watched on
catch up anyway..
Thanks Mark.You are very helpful.Unfortunately I didn"t really understand any if that.
I have the technical know-how of an earwig!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:58 am

I use Sky Go. It will run on a phone or tablet but if you try and connect it to the TV it comes up with an error message. If you have an Apple TV then it is possible to use Airplay from your Apple device. Apparently next year it will be released as a full blown app on the Apple TV which means you can receive it directly.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:14 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:18 pm There is still the option of the main UK channels on Intelsat. Probably not 100% legal but you are extremely unlikely to have anyone chasing you.

Of course there are all the free UK catch-up channels which only need a VPN or Smart DNS system to get round the geolocation problems. I can’t see the BBC chasing you on that either. It’s up to them to strengthen their anti VPN/ DNS software if they are really concerned about it.
Sid
This is how we have always watched TV since the old Sky satellite beam was reduced. It is fine for us as we do not want the additional sports channels and are happy with the basic UK terrestrial TV. The Intelsat is limited of course, not showing Film 4 or any of the other Ch5 or ITV stations, although I don't think I'm missing much. When we first lost the TV stations we had very poor and slow internet here and so couldn't watch any form of IPTV anyway. There are only a couple of providers that cover this valley so we are limited due to that, although we now get over 10mbps which for us is brilliant :thumbup: .

I do have a Smart TV set up with the catch-up apps so can access a lot through that. My LG TV apps only allow live TV for the BBC though and not the other channels which is the only drawback, but we have a enough to watch between the two methods. I have smartproxydns set up in the router which has been excellent.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 pm

This is where I bow-out of this thread.
Too much jargon for a mere mortal like me. :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:22 pm

The Intelsat 907 is an engineering satellite that we pick up the basic terrestrial TV channels on, BBC, ITV, CH4 and 5. We had it installed by a company and it is simple to use. The setting up of a Smart TV and a DNS may prove more tricky if you are not techie, a bit like my OH. I deal with all things computer-wise but he struggles with it all, partly as he's simply not very interested in it, whereas it's a bit of a hobby for me, and someone has to do it :roll:

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:18 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:33 am The worrying thing is that they are starting to go for the users. In a recent purge in Italy, 1800 users were charged with receiving stolen goods!

https://www.italy24news.com/business/228152.html

Sid
1800 denounced and millions of users worldwide. I am sure it is worth the risk for cheap TV. .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that things are changing, albeit slowly. A few years ago it was not illegal in Spain, now it is.

Sid