Replacement cellphone

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Manchesteral
Resident

Replacement cellphone

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:42 pm

AS a 70 year old I need a big, as in big screen, cellphone, I don't need any of these swiss army type things with 50 functions, My basic needs are for telephone calls, photos, whatsapp etc but most of all reliability my ceiling would be around 500 euros and, b t w what is 5g and do I need it ?
I'm going to the phone shop in the next couple of days but just looking for recommendations at the moment ! I've been using an L G k5 for the last 3/4 years and it suits my needs but now need a new one, any opinions ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacement cellphone

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi Manchesteral,

You're going to get a lot of recommendations..........so I'll kick it off.................

Mrs E's phone............Motorola Moto G8 runs Android 11, Dual SIM , screen size 6.4.......does all you want , Example price €153

%G is the latest Phone network standard..........faster than 4G but not widely available unless you're in a City.

Currently here in darkest Jaén Province ..Vodafon phone connection is High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) family. HSDPA is also known as 3.5G and 3G+ so not even 4G !! .......... :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Dont waste your money on 5G. Big cities only for at least another year. When i bought my iPhone 11 the sales guy actually talked me out of buying the 12 as no 5G in my area. Samsung will be cheaper than Apple and a very good phone with good screen size but personally never owned any of the new model Samsung products.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:34 am

daveboy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 pm Dont waste your money on 5G. Big cities only for at least another year. When i bought my iPhone 11 the sales guy actually talked me out of buying the 12 as no 5G in my area. Samsung will be cheaper than Apple and a very good phone with good screen size but personally never owned any of the new model Samsung products.
My mate, who does have an iphone 12 informs me that 5g is available in Torre del Mar.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:55 am

It seems to be available all along the coast.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 am

Hi ,

CORRECTION.............. :!: :!:

"Currently here in darkest Jaén Province ..Vodafone phone connection is High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) family. HSDPA is also known as 3.5G and 3G+ so not even 4G !! "

Phone Moto 8g Power ( 18 months old ) Connecting 4G & 4G+ On Vodafone............. Motorola have upped the Spec and Price (circa €250 ) on latest Version of G8 Model....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am

I like new tech and will change gadgets if I think it's worth it to get better service but in the case of 5G, it hasn't really been a priority. I would say If the phone has it, It's a bonus but if it doesn't, no problem. However, It might be worth taking into account that most phones can be used as routers and having fast 5G will mean paying for internet at home could be avoided.

I notice a few of my students go for BENQ. Might be worth looking at one of those.

BTW, I know many people talk about bells and whistles and on the surface some phones might appear quite costly. However, these days they can replace other gadgets that can also be quite expensive such as cameras and video recorders, A good phone will have both that does the job at least as good as most on the market so having a stand alone camera is unnecessary.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 am

Be interesting to see what speeds people get on this new fangled 5g.... If I stand on my terrace I get 50mb+ on 4g, which reduces to 30 or so indoors where the signal is weaker.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:45 am

markwilding wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am I like new tech and will change gadgets if I think it's worth it to get better service but in the case of 5G, it hasn't really been a priority. I would say If the phone has it, It's a bonus but if it doesn't, no problem. However, It might be worth taking into account that most phones can be used as routers and having fast 5G will mean paying for internet at home could be avoided.

Problem with that would be data cap within the package. Normally not enough to allow a months worth of tv. Coincidentally I was looking at Orange yesterday where they proudly announce Unlimited Data. Then i drilled down a little and found this:-

'Unlimited GB to share among all the lines of the pack (except Kids): the first 30 GB the navigation will be at maximum speed (up to 1Gbps) and then it will be browsed at high speed (2Mbps).'

So in practical terms limited to 30gb... Dunno if all providers have a similar scam.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am

My phones have always been Samsung, but at the cheapest end of the range which I have found to be perfectly adequate for my needs. I do not have a contract for internet though, so never use data on it, only wifi. (We have little or no mobile signal at our house anyway so don't even have it on phone most of the time, only on flight mode as otherwise it drains the battery desperately searching for a signal.)

Our most recent one is an the A20e dual SIM. Very similar to the older of the two, a J6. I am comfortable with Samsung, know how they work (more or less) so stick to what I know.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 am

El Cid wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:55 am It seems to be available all along the coast.

Sid
Sid, Have they done an upgrade recently because earlier this year my daughter could only receive in the city area. I have an iPhone 11 so not 5G compatible.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:42 am

We get 5G in La Herradura and Almuñécar. I cannot imagine that we have been singled out for an upgrade over and above the rest of the coast.

That said, we also get 1gb fibre up in the campo.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:52 am

casita-bonita wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:45 am ... Dunno if all providers have a similar scam.
Obviously, everybody's needs vary
My ISP has slowly been giving me more and more data until now I have unlimited. I have an extra sim for my Ipad linked to my phone, which costs 2 euros more but I am limited to 20 GBs on that. I think most offer similar deals.

I spend Sunday afternoons at my Mother in Law's, who has no internet, and 4G is enough to watch Sky sports on my laptop using my phone as a router. It also means no need to pay for internet at work.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:59 am

Hi El Cid,

Going a bit off topic..............

" That said, we also get 1gb fibre up in the campo. " ...............how are they getting that up to you. :?:

Bast we currently get is 15Mbps..........

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:06 pm

Using a great new invention called "Telegraph Poles". The fibre cable comes down the pole in our garden and into the router.

Isn't modern technology wonderful!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:42 am We get 5G in La Herradura and Almuñécar. I cannot imagine that we have been singled out for an upgrade over and above the rest of the coast.

That said, we also get 1gb fibre up in the campo.

Sid
I only live a few miles inland and clearly see the Costa but there is only one provider that can cover me and we need wimax as there are no landlines to speak of in the campo. We beam across the valley to a repeater station on someone else's house. You are lucky indeed to have fibre. I can't imagine it coming up into these hills.

We used to have a good Orange signal here that worked throughout the house but the aerial near to an urbanisation on the coast was said to be causing cancer, so the ayuntamiento forced Orange to remove it, and it's never been replaced. We can just pick it up if we're lucky in one particular position at the front of the conservatory, but the moment we move it up to our ear it goes again. Movistar is slightly stronger but is still very flaky.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi El Cid,
Thanks..........

Thought that might be the case, they BT/Open Reach are talking about it in UK..........our Village there is in the schedule... "Within 3 years " :!:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm

If you just want a standard average android then dont look to pay anymore than €250. Samsung A30s is pretty good or as wicksey says look abit below that. A20 etc. Have a look on the phone house website to compair.

Xiaomi seem to be popular and have a good reputation for their quality/price

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:37 pm

There is a very good site for refurbished used phones, all with a 24 month warranty.

https://www.backmarket.es/

I have bought from them with no problems.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:39 pm

elusive wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm If you just want a standard average android then dont look to pay anymore than €250. Samsung A30s is pretty good or as wicksey says look abit below that. A20 etc. Have a look on the phone house website to compair.

Xiaomi seem to be popular and have a good reputation for their quality/price
Ive had a xaoimi redmi not8 8 for a couple of years. Excellent phones for the price.. Excellent battery life and it receives regular updates.. When it's time to change i can see a newer redmi coming my way...

Pretty sure i read somewhere recently that xiaomi is now the world's 3rd larget phone manufacturer.
Regards

Bob