Samsung phone - input letter on number keypad

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

Samsung phone - input letter on number keypad

Postby sampedrena » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:14 pm

I am struggling to work out how to input letters on the number keypad on my Samsung phone during a call. I looked on Google and it tells me to tap the number 1, 2 or 3 times in order to enter one of the letters. This does not work for me and I just get 1, 2 or 3 of the number! What am I doing wrong, please? I am finding that sometimes it is necessary to include the full NIE number (including letters) when using those automatic switchboards and unfortunately unless I can do that, then I just can't get through to the service I need! Thank you.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Samsung phone - input letter on number keypad

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi sampedrena,

Came across this Samsung Galaxy.................

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/device ... ctive_text

1. From within a text entry screen, tap the text entry field to open the virtual keyboard.

2. Tap SYM to switch to numbers and symbols.

3. Tap 123 ABC to switch back to text entry

Where are all the Samsung owners when you need them............ :?:

How about this....................

ABC mode

f you look at the numbers on a phone from 2 to 9 you will see corresponding letters under the numbers regardless as to whether you using a touch or rotary dial phone.

2(A,B,C) 3(D,E,F) 4(G,H,I) 5(J,K,L) 6(M,N,0) 7(P,Q,R,S) 8(T,U,V) 9(W,X,Y,Z). Simply dial the corresponding number to represent the letter.

For each letter, you may need to tap the appropriate key multiple times. For example, the 2 key contains the letters A, B, and C. To type the letter A, tap the 2key once. To type the letter B, tap it twice. To type the letter C, tap it three times.

So for Example......... X type 9 twice

Let us know how you get on.............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks Enrique - sounds very complicated to do whilst in mid-call but I'll experiment over the weekend and let you know what happens!

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Well - I still can't manage to input letters using the keypad of my Samsung phone. I have tried tapping the specified number of times to try to get a letter, but that just gives a string of whatever number I tap! When I'm in a text entry screen there is no problem, but when I'm in an automated phone call and they are asking me to enter a variety of numbers and letters via the key pad, I just can't do it! Presumably there is a way or companies wouldn't ask you to do it - but it's beyond me! (I also tried to do it in Skype on the laptop and I couldn't do that either!)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:32 pm

I have never owned a Samsung phone but on all the Motorolas that I have had there are a number of icons at the bottom of the screen when you are in a call. Touching the 'keypad' icon immediately activates the keypad which you can then use during the call. I assume this is not so with Samsung.

Keypad.jpg
Let's go Brandon!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:35 pm

I've tried on my Samsung and it is impossible. I thought if you held the number for a second it may go into letter mode but then it seems to be a shortcut to speed dialling, so no luck there. I did have a thought, that perhaps if you need an X for your NIE just type 9 three time, ie 9wx and perhaps it doesn't show as a letter on your phone but perhaps registers at the other end as a letter?? Who knows. I cannot find any instructions in the phone manual or online.

Yes we can bring up the keypad Beach, but it's making the letters come up. But as I have suggested, maybe they don't show up on the phone.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi sampedrena,

Will this work for you................ :?: .......so X would be *92
Attachments
Letter_Number_Keypad.PNG
Letter_Number_Keypad.PNG (11.64 KiB) Viewed 26770 times

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:57 pm

I see what you mean now. Apparently whatever method you use the screen will never show the letter you are trying to enter, only the keypresses you use to enter it. Seems a bit hit and miss.
Let's go Brandon!

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:20 pm

I didn't know anything about putting a * first. I tried the *92 and it certainly didn't show as X on my phone screen, but possibly will do at their end. I'll make a note of it and, if/when I have to do it again, I'll give it a try! Clearly the Quiron Group must think it's something we can do - but perhaps they should give better instructions! (I have told them that in my feedback form!!)
Thank you all for trying to help with this - but it seems there is no easy answer to it.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi sampedrena,

The other method that has popped up on my research...........lots of times

Just type the number of the box where the letter is located..........so for X below just type 9........ :crazy:

2(A,B,C) 3(D,E,F) 4(G,H,I) 5(J,K,L) 6(M,N,0) 7(P,Q,R,S) 8(T,U,V) 9(W,X,Y,Z)

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks Enrique - sounds a bit strange, but will be worth a try if they ask for something with letters in it!