Amazon Firestick, UK or Spanish?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Amazon Firestick, UK or Spanish?

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:45 pm

I'm having some problems with the CH5 app on my LG Smart TV. It's updated but although all the opening pages load as usual, the programmes won't play. I see they've now added the option of watching live TV to it, which would be good if it would work. I was going to delete the app and reinstall it but I can't get it to delete. The TV software is up to date, so not sure what is happening. The TV is 5 years old so not particularly ancient.

So I am thinking about getting a Firestick but wondered if a UK one would be easier to get all the Freeview channels on. I am going to England next month so could buy one there. At the moment, the LG apps will only play catch-up for CH4 and ITV and it may be useful to have the option of live TV which I believe works on the Firestick apps.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Amazon Firestick, UK or Spanish?

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:44 pm

If I were you, I would buy it when it is reduced whether in Spain or UK. Keep an eye on Amazon for the reductions, I paid 39 euros for mine which normally sells for 65 euros No matter which way you buy one, you will need to set your Amazon account to UK I would also buy the latest 4K version so as to get the best performance.

All 5 main channels offer live TV, Channel 5 actually forms part of the Firestick live TV app so all the its associated programmes are in the EPG which can be accessed from the home page. There are other various live TV apps and one catch up called British TV witch offers tons of older series from various channels. Apart from this there are other dodgy apps (which I suppose are not totally legal) on which it is possible to see films, TV series and Sport for free.

You could ask for more information on here but a quick Google will give you all the information you need plus more and would probably be more informative,

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Thanks Mark. I did Google first and could see there were various models and wasn't sure if the UK version would be preloaded with what I wanted, making it easier.

We do have an UHD TV but I think we'd need more oommph regarding internet speed perhaps to get the best results. I've looked at stuff on Youtube in UHD and it's pixelated a bit. We get 8mbps on average and up to 12 on a good day which is OK for HD TV.

When you say Amazon account, do you have to have one to use it? I have one for buying stuff, is that the same?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:09 pm

I would still buy the top version because its better processor will cope better avoid buffering and everything loads much faster. For the small difference in cost, it's worth it
Your Amazon account will work but you will need to make some tweaks to your account. The apps are not preloaded but different apps are offered depending on where your account is based I go through the online step by step instructions when I have needed it. I have even had to change to Amazon USA to set up something that was only available in the USA. Once done I changed back to UK. It's not a problem for purchases because my Spanish address is still in the system.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:17 pm

I see the Firesticks are currently on offer.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:51 am

Thanks Mark. The 65€ one is down to 40€. You say it's best to get the most expensive one?

Edit: I've ordered it now from amazon.es. I can always return it if I need to.

I can't see anywhere which country my account is set up in (you say you changed it to set up the Firestick). I started off with the UK version years ago, but can log into any country's version using my usual password. I only use the Spanish one all the time as we cannot get stuff sent over from England any more without the import taxes, but I originally used only the UK version. I'm presuming you just mean the Amazon.co.uk site details .... I don't need to have the Amazon Prime TV account?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:30 am

Scrap that last question, I have just found out how to check my address for country set up for 'devices and content' in my Amazon account and it is already set up for the UK. I think I'll be able to navigate around it now with the help of some Youtube videos on 'How to load apps' etc etc

Thanks Mark for the heads up to the offers, a good saving there.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:06 pm

Good Luck with it. It is a good product for the price. After setting up, use your various YouTube videos to get the most out of it. What you are looking for is how to sideload unofficial apps using a downloader program and to how to install an alternative Android App store.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Amazon firestick is on offer this week on the Uk website. £29.99

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:19 pm

I got mine from the es site as I can't order from the UK now, I don't think, due to the import taxes. It seems to be a general offer I think (I've paid 39.99€ for the top of the range one that's usually 64.99€) so a good saving. I don't think setting up the UKTV apps should be a problem.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:45 pm

You will still need a VPN or SmartDNS to get the UK channels.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:07 pm

I already have smartdnsproxy set up in the router as I need it for the Smart TV apps. They said I can set it up in the Firestick as well ..... not sure if that's correct. I was thinking about taking it on holiday and plugging it into the TV at the accommodation we use in the Canaries, if I can get the DNS set up in the Firestick.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:50 pm

Yes, It's pretty simple if you follow the instructions on the SmartDNS website for a Firestick.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:28 pm

The Firestick arrived today so have set up the basic apps so far. I have the Amazon account already in a UK address so the UK TV apps were all there and easy to download. The only problem I had initially was that live ITV and CH4 would not work, although CH5 and BBC did. After a bit of trial and error I remembered that when that happened before I needed to change the time on the TV, so I have changed the time on the Firestick to UK time and it is all working OK.

Initially that's what I wanted it for, to get live TV, especially in the future if the Intelsat disappears, or if we move to an area that it doesn't work in (we've talked about moving to the Canaries at some point), so it's been worth 40€ to have these apps. I shall have to look into what else I may want but so far I am pleased with the quality of the picture and how easy it was to set up. Trying to put the DNS in it will be a job for another day!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:06 am

Wicksey which firestick did you buy? was it the 4k or the 4k max?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:03 am

I bought the 4K Max Pamela. It was only about 5€ difference in price I think from the Max. Going on Mark's recommendations I went for the top model.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am

Ok thanks Wicksey, i was confused looking at them, 3 choices! Then a cube of some sort.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:59 am

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am Ok thanks Wicksey, i was confused looking at them, 3 choices! Then a cube of some sort.
Yes ... not sure about the cube :think: :crazy: . I went on Mark's information and I think the other 3 are similar but just with progressively better memory and features. At that price, then it's best to just go for the top model. I didn't realise it had Alexa too, so we spent last night trying it out and getting used to what we can do on it. Keeps me out of mischief anyway :lol:

robertinspain
Tourist

Postby robertinspain » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:42 am

Hi, I have very poor streaming on the IPTV system I have and am thinking of getting a suitable Stick. Can someone give me an idiots guide as to what I need to do. I use Windscribe to change my VPN to UK. My Samsung TV is a direct internet connection and not through WiFi. Thanks in advance.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm

I have found that the Firestick Max I bought does sometimes buffer, which my Smart TV never does. I wonder if it's because it is UHD and needs a faster internet connection. I usually get 8-14mbps but live CH4 the other night on the Firestick kept buffering all the time which was disappointing.

If your problem is a generally slow internet then you may need to get that sorted out. Is the IPTV system you are using something independent of the TV or is it an app you are using via the Smart TV?

If you have a VPN then that may be slowing things down. I have a DNS in the router that feeds the TV which never slows it. Like me, most people on here tend to use smartdnsproxy.com I think.