Amazon Firestick, UK or Spanish?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
robertinspain
Tourist

Re: Amazon Firestick, UK or Spanish?

Postby robertinspain » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks for your reply Wicksey.
I use a Mag250 box for the TV and have download speed of 11.7mb at the moment.
I am only really interested in UK channels plus a few others. Not requiring Sport or any apps.
If I run my VPN and plug in the Firestick what do you have to do to receive the above, or is there an alternative?

robertinspain
Tourist

Postby robertinspain » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks for your reply Wicksey.
I use a Mag250 box for the TV and have download speed of 11.7mb at the moment.
I am only really interested in UK channels plus a few others. Not requiring Sport or any apps.
If I run my VPN and plug in the Firestick what do you have to do to receive the above?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:59 pm

One of the techie experts may be able to give some more help to you. I'm not sure how the VPN works, as I have the DNS in my router so that everything I use, either via cable or wifi is covered by it. I just put the Firestick into the HDMI socket and followed the onscreen instructions. You set it up using a UK postcode then the UK TV apps load. I have BBC, ITV, CH4 and 5 which all have the live TV option which is what I wanted (the apps on my LG TV aren't so good apart from BBCiPlayer and CH5 stopped working)

If you have a Smart TV then surely you'll get the UK TV apps on that if you just set up the location as being in the UK?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi robertinspain,

Mark(Wilding) is your goto man on this..............

You may need some more speed on your (Real) Network connection to use UHD ............ 25Mbps popped up reading around this morning........ :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:47 pm

I agree about using a Smart DNS versus a VPN. A VPN is overkill and usually slows down the connection speed. They are also easy to identify and be blocked.

I can see no reason at all to use a VPN to receive UK tv.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:46 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:47 pm I agree about using a Smart DNS versus a VPN. A VPN is overkill and usually slows down the connection speed. They are also easy to identify and be blocked.

I can see no reason at all to use a VPN to receive UK tv.

Sid
Agree, SmartDNS has a VPN option included anyway, should you need one and the cost is really competitive.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:57 pm

How would smart dns on the firestick cope with my 4g internet that changes its Ip at intervals?

I currently use Nord VPN but that subscription expires in about 8 weeks. When the Ip changes, the programme eg bbc iplayer drops out with “ Oops something went wrong” message. Going to home on the firestick and logging back in solves it.

I had Smartdns on my previous (non 4G sim ) internet router and it was brilliant but wasn’t unlimited.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:46 am

When my IP changes I just log in and re-activate my IP address. Mine changes at times as well but I reactivate on my PC which is quicker to do as the password etc is saved and the page bookmarked. It's set up in the router so I can reactivate it from any device.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:50 pm

Wicksey - is that with a smart dns? Smart DNS told us they didnt support 4G on a router and certainly not the one supplied to us by Movistar.

Anyone use a smart dns on a firestick?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:03 pm

Yes, I have used DNS on a Firestick. The DNS settings are in the router not in the Firestick. Actually I don’t use the Firestick any more as I prefer the Apple TV streaming box.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:41 pm

Square one then. Might as well just continue using vpn , which may well be slowing the service, on my firestick.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:38 am

olive wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:50 pm Wicksey - is that with a smart dns? Smart DNS told us they didnt support 4G on a router and certainly not the one supplied to us by Movistar.

I don't have a landland/fibre internet supply as I'm out in the campo so have a dish on the roof (wimax?). At the moment the SmartDNS is set up in the router but I am going to try it in the Firestick before we go away as I intend to take it with me to watch TV but don't know yet how well that will work.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:29 am

Funnily enough, that is what we do. The Movistar router is very portable as is the firestick. We are then not limited by accommodation that must have Internet.

I shall be interested in how you get on

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 am

Hi olive,
Have sent you a PM............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:36 pm

olive wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:50 pm Wicksey - is that with a smart dns? Smart DNS told us they didnt support 4G on a router and certainly not the one supplied to us by Movistar.

Yes, I have two routers and one doesn't have the option to change the DNS so I have done it directly in the Firestick.
There is a process but It is easy if you follow the step by step instructions available online. Just Google it and follow one of the many guides posted.