iPod on iTunes problems

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

iPod on iTunes problems

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:45 pm

Years back a friend gave me her old iPod and it connected and worked fine when using iTunes to add or remove songs. She has sadly died and now I've inherited her more modern version which works fine in itself. The problem is when I connect it to the computer.

iTunes shows the iPod is connected and all the folders and songs etc, but they are all greyed out. I cannot play them through iTunes, nor add to or delete any of them. So basically I cannot see how I can use the iPod as I can't add my own stuff.

I've tried Googling but nothing really fits the problems I have. I do not have an Apple account and all the songs and radio plays have been downloaded using other methods, ie not by buying them from an Apple account. I usually download what I want onto my computer or laptop, then just copy the mp3 file across. I'm pretty sure that's how my friend downloaded stuff too.

My big problem is not being able to access the music that is on there or add to it. Is there any other way of controlling what's on an iPod?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: iPod on iTunes problems

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi Wicksey,

Have sent you a PM...........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 01, 2022 6:51 pm

By chance I have found the problem I think. In the settings on iTunes for the iPod in the Summary, it seems that under Options the 'Enable disk use' should be ticked. I haven't touched any of the settings and the previous iPod worked fine, so it's a mystery. Unfortunately, in the process of faffing about with it I managed to delete the entire 1200 items that were on the iPod ..... hey ho, I'll have to start from scratch building up my own library.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 01, 2022 8:18 pm

I thought the automatic backup kept them all in the iCloud.

Maybe not though. I subscribe to Apple Music so all music ever written (almost) is available.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 02, 2022 1:40 am

I have always found the process of transferring music to my Apple products clumsy so thank god for streaming music services. I use Spotify because I am in a group subscription which costs me something like 30 Euros a year. Great value when I consider buying a new CD used to cost around 10 Euros or more and I have access to as much music I need.

I also remember, as probably most members will, the effort I had to put in to make tapes of my favourites but now I can make playlists and add to them any song I want. Like a couple of other members, I love soul and funk from the sixties and seventies and quite a few songs were hard to find then but now I just type in the song I'm looking for and I have it in a second.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 02, 2022 9:07 am

I don't know about the icloud, Sid, never used it myself.

I don't have any other Apple devices and have never like the iTunes set-up. I have just about got to grips with adding stuff now but it just seems to be slightly different to how I used to do it for the old iPod. I've downloaded BBC plays to listen to in the past but at the moment have used other methods for downloading music. We have a USB in the car and have hundreds of songs on a memory stick which is so easy nowadays. I do remember doing tapes and in fact my OH still has all his cassettes which he still plays at home!