Connection Not Private Error message when accessing websites

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Parilla
Resident

Connection Not Private Error message when accessing websites

Postby Parilla » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:43 pm

For the last 2 days we have had a problem accessing various websites - Amazon UK, BBC, ITV and many others. The Error Message says "Your Connection is Not Private" and states "NET ERROR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID". We have 2 laptops using the same internet connection and it happens on both.

Earlier this week (Monday) our internet connection was briefly out of action (as it was for others with the same provider) and also on Tuesday - for an hour or so. Everything seemed okay during both Monday and Tuesday - but yesterday we started to get this message.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might have gone wrong and how we can put it right? We have not made any changes to our laptop settings or done any Updates. We also have a Tablet on the same connection and we don't have any problem accessing the sites on that.

I hope that someone may be able to help or shed some light on why this is happening.
Thank you in advance.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Connection Not Private Error message when accessing websites

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi Pirella,
Have a read................. Section 8. might sort out your problem................

https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/net ... me_invalid
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks Enrique - I am a bit worried that this might affect our Spanish Digital Certificates, which I wouldn't want to do as they are very useful. Is there a way of just deleting the one that might be affecting the websites? And, if so, which one would I need to delete?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi Pirella,

You should have Copies (x3)s of your Digital Signature on different Media............ If not then Export them before doing any tidy up as in Section 8.

I've just Clear SSL State and my Digital Signatures are untouched in my Certificate.

BUT if you haven't got any Copies of your Digital Signatures........... do it now :!: ..............please......then we can both sleep easy. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:55 pm

Do you use a DNS? Every time our IP address changes, which seems to be daily at the moment for some reason, we get that message. We update the IP address with our DNS provider (smartdnsproxy) and everything works again (until the next day!). Even Moonpig's website wouldn't load properly because of that yesterday.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:12 pm

Thank you for your replies. Enrique - you will be pleased to know that we have copies of (what we think are) our digital signature files on pen drive, external hard drive, laptop, OneDrive & Dropbox! The files say Personal Information Exchange for Type. Do you think these are the correct files? If not then what should I be copying?
Wicksey - We do use a DNS - also smartdnsproxy - quite a coincidence. I don't know how to update the IP address - so I'm a bit stuck!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Parilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:12 pm
Wicksey - We do use a DNS - also smartdnsproxy - quite a coincidence. I don't know how to update the IP address - so I'm a bit stuck!
Sign into your smartdnsproxy account and on the home page there is a heading 'IP activiation'. Mine needs renewing yet again!

Next to it it says:
Your Current IP xxxxxxxxxx is NOT in our system, your Active IP : xxxxxxxxxxx (red circle crossed through) Activate

Click on the activate option far right and it will update and everything should work again. I'm not sure why we have to do it everyday now, but there are sometimes power outages at the repeater station we pick up the signal from (we are in the campo with a Wimax connection).

Once it's renewed then a green tick will appear on the right side.

NB I have saved the signing in page of smartdns as a bookmark and set Chrome to remember the password so I can quickly renew the IP address

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Thank you Wicksey - that seems to have worked! I would never have thought of this - so lucky that you mentioned SmartDNS! I will see what happens over the next few days and let you know, but so far so good. Thank you again.

Enrique - thanks for the reminder to put the Digital Signature files in a number of places - I've done that and hope that they are the correct files! (Personal Information Exchange)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:43 pm

No problema. As I say, for us it seems to be a daily occurrence now which is a pain, but presumably something to do with our IP's system.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:19 pm

It used to catch me out all the time. Even now I sometimes don’t realise that’s the problem straight away. It usually happens when I want to watch something on the BBC at my mother in law’s and SmartDns is the only thing that works so I have to update the IP address then forget to change it back when I return home.
It usually dawns on me when I can’t access many websites and I get the message Parilla mentions.