Yoigo roaming charges?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yoigo roaming charges?

Postby Screagle » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:37 am

I'm in the UK with a Yoigo SIM, roaming disabled and connected to home Wi-Fi. I leave the phone switched on as it's used forWhatsApp and in case I need to make calls to or receive calls from Spain. I noticed today that my PAYG account is being charged about 11c in 1c increments per day for roaming which I cannot fathom. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo with Sync activated.

Any suggestions as to how to stop these charges or why I'm being charged in the first place? I don't recall being charged for 'roaming' before and only noticed it because my PAYG balance had reduced which it had not done before now.

Saludos

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Yoigo roaming charges?

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:18 am

I would say you need to switch off cellular data in your settings.

I checked out roaming charges to the UK some months ago and as far as I can see there are not any while in the UK using most Spanish sims. A quick check on Yoigo web site confirms that the UK is still exempt using Yoigo so it might be the case that while in there, your phone assumes it isn't roaming and is updating and receiving emails while you don't have access to WIFI. If roaming was switched off, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to make and receive calls.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 am

Mark, I have mobile data turned off. I can make and receive calls for example I requested my balance earlier by calling *111#. The UK is treated as a national tariff according to this link: https://www.yoigo.com/informacion-legal.

Saludos

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:35 am

How long have you been in the UK? There is a fair use policy which limits roaming. However. you would expect them to message you if you have gone over.
To be quite honest, it is probably better to give them a call to query the charges.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 am

I did chat with Yoigo and it was positive - they would arrange a refund. However yesterday I received a text pointing me to their roaming rules. Apparently as I spend most of my time outside of Spain I am outside the permitted limits for roaming and thus subject to additional charges for 'abusing' the service even though mobile data is off. Is this now standard practive for other providers?

Saludos
Last edited by Screagle on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:23 pm

This has always been the case.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:44 am

:thumbup: Received a text from Yoigo to say my 'roaming charges' for September will be refunded :thumbup:. Point taken about roaming but then if I have mobile data turned off and using Wi-Fi I'm not sure how that constitutes abuse. Anyway If I turn off roaming in my on-line account it takes the phone off network so I might do that and see if the charges cease.

Saludos