BB4 Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ashtondav
Resident

BB4 Spain

Postby ashtondav » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:43 pm

Hmmm. Been sold to populoos? Just how do I get a uk vpn? No communication about any changes and still direct debiting me. Any ideas? Pretty peeved no one has emailed or texted about this and populous don’t accept a uk number in their query section..

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: BB4 Spain

Postby Lyric » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:51 pm

Would you like one of my phone calls or e-mails ? had several now despite a signed withdrawl from service and a stopped DD !

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:25 am

Sorry to hear that but what has happened? Any view on the best alternative?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:34 am

Ashton Dave - I am sure they are still providing a UK VPN, call them on 950 955 907 , I have found them very helpful.
Hardworking resident !!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 am

No. I just phoned that number and although they said they will provide Internet they will not provide a uk ip. “That service has ended”. Might contact Nerja solutions.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 am

Can't you just do it yourself, like many of us do? I know I am one of many using smartproxydns, and the DNS can easily be set up in to the router and is quicker than a VPN. I'm sure others will offer options. I used to use BB4S many many years back, but when I moved I lost coverage and only Fobos cover my house now (I need a Wimax signal).

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:55 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 am Can't you just do it yourself, like many of us do? I know I am one of many using smartproxydns, and the DNS can easily be set up in to the router and is quicker than a VPN. I'm sure others will offer options. I used to use BB4S many many years back, but when I moved I lost coverage and only Fobos cover my house now (I need a Wimax signal).
Smartdnsproxy also include vpn along with dns redirection. So if you really need a UK address then that will ptovide one. Although dns redirection is preferable and sufficient for uk tv watching.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:04 am

People on f.book groups were very recently providing info on the uk vpn that you can still use from bb4

Noodle
Tourist

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:03 pm

I am in Spain only a few months a year. Arrived last week and noticed the loss of many TV channels from my premium service (including the much appreciated but undoubtedly illegal sports channels). Turned it on today and saw a message telling me there was a problem with my subscription and giving me a number to call. I did so, was answered quickly and and advised that all BB4S TV customers had been transferred from BB4S (now Populoos) to GTIberia. My account is now transferred over to them for €6 per month. It isn’t activated yet, so don’t know what it will look like when it does. Assuming it is a further deterioration, I would be grateful for any advice on how to obtain a broader range of U.K. channels, including this VPN router route being talked of above!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 pm

SmartDNS is the preferred option for most in this forum. It is easy to set up and there are easy to follow instructions on their web site. if you reside in the UK and don't already have one of the following, A Now TV box, an Amazon Firestick or A sky subscription then buy a firestick. Set it up in the UK with Iplayer etc and it will play all the normal channels and catchup without any problem as long as the DNS is set up either in the router or in the firestick.

If you want to watch Sport on Sky, download the Now TV app and you can pay for a day, week or month with no contract. If you already have a box then buy another for Spain, put in your name and password and it will set it up automatically.

If you have Sky, download the SkyGo app onto a laptop and connect to your TV. if you want free stuff including films and footy, it's quite easy to install apps onto a Firestick but you will need to Google and read up on how to do it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 am

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

I think this is the one most of us use. There is a number with very similar names.

I second Mark's advice. I have a Smart TV set up as if I were in the UK (with a UK address and time) but when the apps went a bit dodgy I now have the Amazon Firestick as well that has better TV apps for UK TV. You do need to set the time as the UK for the Firestick in order to watch live UK TV I have found. The DNS has just been set up in the router so serves all my devices.

Noodle
Tourist

Postby Noodle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:36 pm

Many thanks for the advice. I have successfully started a 14 day trial with them and configured a fire stick I had hanging round (I was unable to configure router as I couldn’t get into the admin page even though I have the relevant IP addresses), but it’s a start. However, whilst I can now successfully access BBC iPlayer, it does seem to buffer quite a bit. And I don’t think that is down to internet speed. Using Netflix via the fire stick is also very slow, whereas using it via the app within the TVs (one wired via BB4S and one via BB4S WiFi) streams seamlessly. Is buffering common with Smart DNS?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:53 pm

In the past couple of days I've had a few problems with the BBC iPlayer buffering which it never usually does. Sometimes on the TV I cannot get it to load and it times out, but it buffered on the Firestick as well. Not sure if it's a BBC problem or not. The other channels seem to be working OK. The DNS should be better than using a VPN as far as I am aware.