mobile for UK and EU

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

mobile for UK and EU

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:35 pm

we have been very content with a vodafone PAYG sim in an iphone, the deal being that any call or text cost £1, with all subsequent use being free for that day.
This summer the deal changed, and calls, texts and data only available in the UK, anything from outside being costly.
Has anyone found a deal on PAYG that covers EU and UK?
We are currently in the UK, and have paid £5 for a one-month with all calls & data, but this is not available outside the UK.
Anyone know of a dealer that does what we want - we have a Movistar on contract for Spain but this now excludes non-EU calls too, so it would be good to find a solution.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: mobile for UK and EU

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:02 pm

Most Spanish telephone companies still allow roaming when travelling in the UK. As a result, while in the UK it's possible to call anywhere within the EU using your Movistar contract at the same rate you make calls in Spain. If as my contract, you have unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines included in the contract, calls to Spain and other parts of the EU including the UK while in the UK will be free. It is also possible to use data in the UK as if you were in Spain

Movistar's rates for roaming are here.

https://www.movistar.es/particulares/mo ... o-roaming/
Just type UK into the box

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:10 am

We use hits. They have free roaming in the uk and many other countries. But do you need an actual uk number,contract? Not likely possible if you arent a uk resident

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:52 pm

I have a dual SIM phone with a Movistar PAYG for here and Giffgaff one for the UK. It was sent to me in Spain and others on here did highly recommend them. I don't have to keep topping it up but simply use it every 6 months to keep the number (which we need). Works well for us as we simply switch the UK one off when here, and likewise the Movistar when in the UK and so only use the local phone number.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:11 pm

elusive wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:10 am We use hits. They have free roaming in the uk and many other countries. But do you need an actual uk number,contract? Not likely possible if you arent a uk resident
I have similar.They are a part of MasMobile who owns my ISP. When I’m in Spain, we use WhatsApp etc. with family and friends but while in the UK they can phone Us and we can phone them for free using 4G. For the moment the Spanish phone companies have not introduced roaming charges so absolutely no need to buy PAYG sims when we visit.

Looking at HITS prices they look very competitive. As little as 6.90 euros with 5 gigas for national calls which would include roaming while in the Uk and the EU and 11.90 which allows unlimited international calls with 10 Gigas How does that compare with average PAYG usage? For me PAYG would work out much more expensive.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Our Movistar contract pre-Brexit had calls & texts to the UK included for an extra €1 per month, but although they are still taking the money the UK is no longer included.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:40 pm

Unless you use you phone for the odd call and dont use the internet the monthly rolling contracts are so cheap nowadays i think only a hand full of people needs a permanent PAYG. I pay under a fiver a month for 5gb and x amount of mins that i never use up

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:19 pm

I have a Vodafone UK contract that allows roaming in many countries even outside the EU. Sometimes best to go in shop for a deal.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pm

This year OTH didn't renew his phone contract, he kept his phone and got a lebera monthly sim.He can cancel anytime, he pays £7.50 per month.Gets unlimitd mins/txts...20gb & free roaming in Europe.He also has 100 free mins to call Spain or any other European country..Comes in handy when he phones his family in Spain...They piggy back off vodafone & although i'm with a vodaphone contract he had a much better reception in Spain than me, we both have the exact same phone...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:50 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pm This year OTH didn't renew his phone contract, he kept his phone and got a lebara monthly sim.He can cancel anytime, he pays £7.50 per month.Gets unlimitd mins/txts...20gb & free roaming in Europe.He also has 100 free mins to call Spain or any other European country..Comes in handy when he phones his family in Spain...They piggy back off vodafone & although i'm with a vodafone contract he had a much better reception in Spain than i do, we both have the exact same phone...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:52 pm

Sorry double post with corrections. :lol: