Mobile advice

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

Mobile advice

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:22 am

My wife & I both use Galaxy J3 phones.
They are both Version.9.
As a result ( we have just naively discovered)they are now " unsupported"!
I have also just realised that the different "versions" are only suppprted for 3-4 years!
I have 2 questions:
1) Can we safely continue to use our Vers.9's or should we dash-out and get new phones?
2) Does this generally mean we should buy new phones every 3-4 years?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mobile advice

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am

Hi jonbar.1,
" unsupported"!........... just means the OS is not updated along with security updates.
I have an old outdated android phone that hasn't had any updates for years............ Will keep it going until the Battery expires.

Also it will depend on what you use it for. :?:

Have Google........."how secure are galaxy j3 when unsupported"

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/is-tha ... -security/

Interesting article................

https://www.androidauthority.com/phone- ... s-1658633/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:29 am

Thanks Enrique.
That's reassuring :thumbup:
I had already Googled the "cnet" piece. However the "Android Authority" link is very useful reading.
Cheers JB

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:19 pm

This is pretty typical with all operating systems. Updated versions for Iphones and Ipads are also limited to 4-5 year old machines. It's not normally a problem but what tends to happen is as they get older, certain apps might not work on older versions of the operating system.

Having said that, I have a ten-year old Ipad which hasn't been updated for years and which I use for Video classes. For the last year I have been getting a message that MS teams will stop working soon but until it does, the Ipad continues to function reasonably well

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Its basically to get you to buy new phones etc and also they come out with so many different models its impossible for them to keep updating all of them. Its the same with chromebooks. They only get updates for 6-7 years or with Microsoft when they stopped supporting the old XP years back.also most people who are on contracts get a new phone every 2-3 years anyway as part of the deal. The SIM only deals that more people are using inorder to save money and which seems to have always been popular in spain compared to the UK are causing more people to think about how old their handset are compaired to years ago.

If you arent doing anything of major importance on your phone then tbh i wouldnt upgrade just for the sake of it. Put on a good andriod antivirus like Avast (which you should have anyway imo) i have an android tablet from 2013 .alot of apps wont update anymore but they still work and the keyboard is slow but i only use it for listening to the radio etc.