Transponder

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Transponder

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 am

Does anyone use Transponder for the access to UK stuff and Sky Sports, etc?

We have been using it for years and at €6.50 a month for unlimited access it seems reasonable. However, about a year ago we started to get weird messages to say that Transponder (an Australian company) were reorganising their payment department and there would be a few hiccups but that the subscription needed to be renewed with a Sister Company. I though 'Scam' and did nothing and Transponder continued to give us a service and take the money.

Now the messages have started up again. Does anyone else know anything about this as sometimes, the service does stop for a day or two. Coincidence? Sophisticated scam? All perfectly all right except the company is having a bad few moments? Any advice appreciated.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Transponder

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:17 am

Good morning Lavanda,

A quick Google Transponder TV......... points to recent problems with that site.....Trust Pilot has some damning reviews (22 Nov)

" subscription needed to be renewed with a Sister Company".............so they want your bank details :!: :!: ...... as with any email that requests sensitive info check where the email originates from.

Have a read................Trace email source.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-tr ... he-source/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:43 am

It does seems very dubious. Great link — really useful. Thank you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:15 am

Hi Lavanda,

From FaceBook page 21 Nov

" We're having issue with our server in Ukraine.
Our technical staff are working on resolving this and we would be back online in some time.
Apologies for the inconvenience."

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:52 am

At first, I thought you were using a smart DNS server to access the British channels that you were paying a subscription directly to. A quick inspection of the Transponder website shows it's a company that offers online UKTV. Apparently, it is a rehash of TV Catchup. The reviews are not very positive. It doesn't seem to offer great pictures, no HD was one complaint, and others are just as sceptical as you of the change.

While the legality of watching the IPlayer outside the UK is debatable, what is clear is that sites that charge for BBC access is illegal but I'm not sure how far the BBC would go to have the service blocked. Looking through their channels, I can only see free channels but you say that you can watch Sky Sports, which is Pirating and many companies that do this are highly dubious. It is quite feasible that this type of service plays a cat and mouse game with the law and needs to move it's servers and base from time to time. All this degrades the service that was originally signed up to. In addition, Members have posted about companies they used being closed down by the authorities.

While I appreciate that this offers a very simple way of viewing UKTV, there are risks. Alternatives are using the original apps with a VPN or DNS server, which is quite easy to set up, I would say a high percentage of member do it this way so a lot of help is available on the forum. Another similar service, which has been endorsed by other members is TV Mucho but I don't think it offers pay channels.

There is loads of information about how member can view UKTV content in this forum but should you decide to change how you do it, quite a few members would be happy to advise you and help. Personally speaking, my beef with these types of companies is that everything they offer is actually available free elsewhere.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Hi,
Following on from Mark's Post......
Although their FaceBook page says using Servers in Ukraine, I did a network trace this morning and came up with servers in Holland ?

Time to look into alternatives.........