Weird internet occurence

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Weird internet occurence

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:09 pm

Yesterday afternoon we lost our internet connection. Phone and laptop showed the 'no internet' symbol so I contacted our ISP but he said everything should be OK. I did the usual turn off/on thingy but still nothing. Then a Whatsapp message came through on my phone despite no connection. Nothing else would work but somehow, seemingly without any internet connection, Whatsapp was working OK. Any ideas?? My ISP did say he could access my antenna but not my router (didn't know he could anyway :think: ) This morning everything was back again as normal.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weird internet occurence

Postby Enrique » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Hi Wicksey,

"Then a Whatsapp message came through on my phone despite no connection".. do you have a phone data package :?:

"WhatsApp uses your phone's cellular connection or Wi-Fi network to send and receive messages and calls to your family and friends. As long as you haven't exceeded your mobile data allowance or you're connected to a free Wi-Fi network, your mobile provider shouldn't charge you for messaging or calling over WhatsApp. If your phone is roaming, data charges might apply."

To check if no Internet connection.......
Windows ...CMD --> tracert 8.8.8.8 .........this will try and trace a connection route to the Google server.
The first IP will be your Router then you go to into the ISP ....probably see the change of IP from 192.168... to 10.... then out to your ISP's carrier.

On a good link the response should be 20-30 ms

Now your connection is working do the above and take a copy of it. So next time you have a problem you can see where things have gone wrong.
Quite often I find it's the ISP that has a problem with their routing.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks Enrique. No I do not use data on my phone, only wifi.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:27 pm

It happened again today so I'm at the neighbour's house using their internet. Turns out it is the router that is faulty. Seems to be the case as if I put the ethernet cable directly into the TV then the internet does work OK. Typical, it's the bank holiday week and I've got a stinking cold but can't do without a new router.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:37 pm

My ISP has sold me a new router which I've installed and the wifi connected immediately OK but I cannot access the router settings using the usual 192.168.0.1 website. It says 'site can't be reached ..... took too long to respond'. Same on phone and PC and using different browsers. Rebooted router as the instructions suggest and IP address is set to obtain it automatically. It's not much use to me if I cannot access it to put the proxy DNS in it as I usually would. My old router started to work again typically so I think I'll reinstall that.

Any suggestions? I'm awaiting a response from my ISP.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:42 pm

Hi Wicksey,
"I cannot access the router settings using the usual 192.168.0.1"..............

On your Windows system fire up CMD and type in ipconfig /all .........if you can't get your head round the numbers please email me a screenshot.

Also make and model of the new router.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 pm

I've emailed you Enrique, thanks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:59 pm

Router is TPLink AC1200 Archer C5