Wifi password needed to connect TV via ethernet cable?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Wifi password needed to connect TV via ethernet cable?

Postby fyfin » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:17 pm

I've never needed a password to connect TV or android box direct to router using an ethernet cable but according to this website you do. I was trying to help a guy on Facebook and as usual you get an argument.
I explained that if he used an ethernet cable he wouldn't need a password but I've been told by someone that I'm wrong and here's the proof - he linked to this website. Well, maybe they're wrong or is there some setup where this is true. I know there's some smart tech people on here so eagerly awaiting the responses.
https://smarthomestarter.com/can-you-co ... -and-cons/
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wifi password needed to connect TV via ethernet cable?

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:50 pm

I cannot think of any reason why you would need a WiFi password for an Ethernet connection. I have 5 devices connected by Ethernet and no password is required on any of them.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Re: Wifi password needed to connect TV via ethernet cable?

Postby fyfin » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:00 pm

Sid, exactly what I thought. I've connected numerous android boxes and a few smart tvs for friends and if they connected by ethernet cable there was no need to enter a Wi-Fi password. I would go to wifi in settings and put the password in, in case they wanted to use wifi in the future. Then made sure it was connected by ethernet. It's like saying you need a wireless password for a wired connection.
Glad we agree but who knows someone might disagree lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it