New way to watch UK tv

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

New way to watch UK tv

Postby snorbs » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:28 pm

https://www.sky.com/glass/buy/stream/tv-packs

Has anybody signed up to this new sky offering?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: New way to watch UK tv

Postby snorbs » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:00 am

I would be interested to hear if its possible to change DNS settings etc

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:05 am

Hi snorbs,

" would be interested to hear if its possible to change DNS settings etc".............yes you can use any DNS service you want.

The default is usually your ISP's
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Towserdog

Postby Towserdog » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:17 am

Will this service be available to Spanish IP addresses or will a VPN be required?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:39 am

i cant seem to find on various forums if changing DNS settings in your router or using a VPN would work

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:33 pm

How would you get the physical equipment? I presume Sky would only supply to a UK address.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:47 pm

It will not be possible to find out until someone manages to get a Sky Glass TV out here. However, you don’t need a Sky Glass TV as they do offer an Internet streaming service via a set top box. That may well be locked into a UK broadband connection.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 pm

I am in London and was thinking about giving it a go.
It is not necessary to have Sky’s broadband but there are extra set up fees if you don’t.

In the end I didn’t because I can’t see much difference to NOW TV except maybe their possibility of watching in 4K.
I would want to use the SKY Go access but one thing i’m not sure about is if the Sky Go is linked to the satellite service, wether or not, it can be used on one of these.

I do know, however, that with the right subscription, it is possible to use Sky go with this version of SKY.

For the moment it is probably better to wait to find out what is possible or ways to subscribe in Spain. I suspect there will be companies offering the service in the same way it was possible to set up a Sky satellite subscription a few years ago.
What I am hoping is that little by little, Sky will start adding apps to Smart Tv gadgets and things like the Fire stick. My understanding is at the moment that only games consuls and the Apple TV box have this. Then anyone who wants to subscribe can use the same companies to have SKY Go which is usually cheaper than the main service.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:11 pm

Yes Sky would post it to a UK family address.
The new streaming box works on any TV.
Would a VPN or Smart DNS not solve the situation re the box potentially being locked to a UK broadband connection?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:54 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 pm I would want to use the SKY Go access but one thing i’m not sure about is if the Sky Go is linked to the satellite service, wether or not, it can be used on one of these.
Sky Go is via the Internet. It works fine with a Smart DNS. I use it regularly, but the snag is that Sky prevents you casting it to your TV via Airplay etc.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:43 pm

I’ve read that there is a dedicated SKY app on the newer Apple TV boxes. I use my son’s Play station, which has one and allows me to watch on the tV.
What I’m hoping is that Sky will add Apps for other gadgets in a similar way they started with the Now box and slowly created apps for others

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:15 pm

I have seen a few providers of "sky services" in spain suggesting that a VPN router will work with the SKY Puck product.
would be really good to hear if anyone in the forum has heard that is true

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:03 am

snorbs wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:15 pm I have seen a few providers of "sky services" in spain suggesting that a VPN router will work with the SKY Puck product.
would be really good to hear if anyone in the forum has heard that is true
That is my understanding - you need a router running a vpn for it to work - just like SkyGo etc - as you cannot install a VPN or change the DNS settings on the box itself. Not got one yet, so not able to confirm this.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:01 pm

i use range extenders, and these can be set to a manual DNS so when I connect through them, it works fine. The router has the Movistar DNS but the range extenders overide them. It works fine with SkyGo and all the other UK apps.

If you read the Sky Stream Ts and Cs they talk about checking your broadband connection daily and you cannot even use it at another address in the UK .

If it is possible to use it in Spain I might go down that route.

Sid