Firestick & Nord VPN for BBC iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Firestick & Nord VPN for BBC iplayer

Postby firsttango » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:09 pm

Bonzo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:19 pm Ok thanks. Think I’m almost there. I have a TP Link router

Where do I get the primary and secondary DNS servers from?
https://support.smartdnsproxy.com/artic ... march-2022

Bonzo
Tourist

Postby Bonzo » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks. In the set up instructions it says chose two smart DNS IP’s from the list that are closest to your location. I’m a bit confused. I thought I’d need to choose the U.K. server to access U.K. channels. And why do I need two?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:23 am

Bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 am Thanks. In the set up instructions it says chose two smart DNS IP’s from the list that are closest to your location. I’m a bit confused. I thought I’d need to choose the U.K. server to access U.K. channels. And why do I need two?
Nope you don't need U.K server for U.K Channels, just use two from list closest to you. One is primary server, the secondary one is a back up

Bonzo
Tourist

Postby Bonzo » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:22 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. The Smart DNS didn’t cure the buffering so I contacted Nord support again and they suggested changing the Protocol to UDP from the default TCP. Lo and behold it’s (sort of) cured the buffering. At least it gives about an hour or so buffer free streaming. You then need to delete the Cache and it streams again.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:06 am

Hi Bonzo,

Have you tried streaming at a lower resolution and/or increasing the cache size............ :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Bonzo
Tourist

Postby Bonzo » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm

Hi Enrique

Yes, I tried that but it didn’t help.

As I’ve said, the only thing that has improved the buffering for me is going into settings on the Nord VPN and changing the protocol. It gives me around 90 minutes of buffer free streaming which I think it is as good as it will get. Once it starts to buffer I delete the cache and am able to continue streaming again.