Yoigo deactivation

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yoigo deactivation

Postby Screagle » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:35 am

Noticed my phone with Yoigo SIM was emergency calls only yesterday and had been fine on Sunday. A phone call to Yoigo confirmed my worst fear that the account had been closed without warning, notification - nothing! The reason: I hadn't topped up for more than six months and the refund I received in September did not count as a top up. I was also locked out of my on-line account so could not remedy the issue. I would imagine as so many users have messaging apps it's more lucrative to treat customers this way i.e. grab the balance and charge to re-activate.

So find myself at the moment without a Spanish mobile number. One option is to visit a Yoigo shop on my next visit to Spain and pay to reactive the line if the number has not already been re-assigned. Another option is to find a different PAYG provider with better customer interaction. Any suggestions or advice gratefully received!

Saludos

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Yoigo deactivation

Postby gerryh » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:56 am

Have a look at https://www.lobster.es/
It isn't PAYG but their monthly fees are quite low and you can park your number when not in Spain and unpark it, and pay another monthly fee when you are in Spain.
They have a very good help service, all in English.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:44 am

I lost my vodafone.es number for not topping it up during covid. Had the number 25 years. I went into vodafone shop to reactivate the number and was told only if i took out a contract could i get my number back. I told them to keep it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:11 am

I have Orange and Movistar for Spain (Giffgaff for the UK number). I have Habla 6 for Movistar which only needs topping up every 6 months and Orange is the same but I can't remember what the tariff is called. I don't use any phone for data so just want the cheapest tariff possible just to keep my numbers going. (I rarely ever use the phone as a phone as we don't have a reliable mobile signal at the house so never receive calls, so it's on flight mode most of the time.) I put a note on my calender to keep on top of the required usage or top-ups in order to keep my numbers active (something I really don't want to lose).

Movistar do a PAYG 5€ per month tariff that includes some GB. I have found their Whatsapp help desk very useful for a few problems I have had recently which were resolved (only available in Spanish).

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:46 am

Hear,hear Gerry.
I changed from Movistar to Lobster last August.
A brilliant move.
Excellent service ( in English) plus a great deal on international calls. :thumbup:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:01 pm

Lobster uses the Movistar network, but their service is better and costs are lower. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:55 pm

Thanks, Wicksey - Tarifa Habla 6 seems the way to go for my needs. Hopefully I'll get to choose my new number as I did when I ordered my Yoigo SIM.

I couldn't find anything similar to Habla 6 on Yoigo or Orange. Like you I don't require data, just a means for receiving texts and calls on a Spanish number, otherwise I'll be using Wi-Fi for internet access in Spain and UK. Just need to remember to top up every six months!

Saludos

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 am

That's why I have that tariff, as I don't really use the phone.

I did change it for what I thought was only a month when I went on a cruise so I could have data, which was very useful, but it was really difficult changing it back to Habla 6. I did it through their Whatsapp helpline which worked but it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be. I thought I'd be able to change between tariffs easily, but if you don't plan on doing that, then the basic Habla 6 is OK. Make sure it doesn't include data and that it is just for calls. For some reason they were taking 4€ a day for data even though it was switched off. A call to 1004 eventually put that right (you can ask to speak to someone in English), but I've had a few fun and game with all my mobile providers over the years!

I've just looked at Orange and my tariff is called 'Llama' and it's very similar to Habla 6, 6c a min + connection fee of 32c. Just remember to set a reminder for recharging!

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am

There really ought to be some law about removing a number from a user without any warning. With 2 factor authentication and other security mechanisms, access to that number being stopped can cause problems with mobile banking, government logins and the like.
People should "OWN" their number once it is allocated and be able to take it where they wish. Yoigo should have advised the service was to be suspended with time to get a PAC and move to another provider that does not treat their customers like excrement!
I hope you get sorted out, Screagle and leave Yoigo some feedback on an appropriate website like trustpilot.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:28 am

You make excellent points, knowal. I couldn't agree more. As regards TFA, OTP's etc then providors like Yoigo have us over a barrel. I called and although the call handler was genuinely apologetic it seems only the stores that can resolve these issues. No doubt this would have entailed taking out a contract to resume using the number as with costakid.

To be honest though I'm probably best shot of them. Other than frequent spam calls, like Wicksey I was also being hit for roaming data charges in the UK even when this was turned off and I was using Wi-Fi. However it was only a couple of euros a month and I did get a refund for one month. I just couldn't be bothered and didn't have the time to go through the complaint process again.

So I'm over it now. I'll just wait until my next trip so sort a new providor. I'll miss my old number though as it was so easy to remember and I had it for nearly eight years...

Saludos