BBC HD Channels on Satellite

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

BBC HD Channels on Satellite

Postby fyfin » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:35 pm

We have lost BBC channels and I have seen SatandPcguy's site where he explains why etc. I always thought than as I have a GT Media GTC (sat and android box combined) I was getting HD channels before but when I scanned it now didn't pick up BBC channels so I guess as it's quite old then it isn't HD after all. I don't really understand.

So I suppose the question is - will any HD satellite receiver pick up BBC assuming we scan the right satellite. There are some relatively cheap ones on Amazon.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: BBC HD Channels on Satellite

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:16 am

Thanks for checking out the site!

The BBC HD channels are on same frequencies as when the channels were in SD, but for HD configured with different symbol rate and FEC. So you need to make sure your receiver is scanning the correct frequencies and settings. Most default scans on receivers just scan the frequency settings that are preinstalled. Turning on Network (NIT) Search updates the receivers with any newly active frequencies. OR manually input the frequency and scan manually.

GTMedias are HD receivers. So that should not be the issue.

One test is if you were getting BBC News HD before, then you should get BBC News HD now, as that has not changed frequencies during the SD to HD migrations

But note that HD signals, with the change in FEC and SR, are now slightly lower in strength, so it may also depend on your location, dish size...

But yes, if your dish is good enough to receive the signals, then any free to air receiver will pick up the free to air BBC HD channels.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:06 pm

Yes. I did a scan again and I can get BBC1 NE and Yorks in HD but nothing else. No BBC2 or BBC news. I'm not that bothered as l have Internet but it's a handy backup.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:22 pm

Scan 10803 and you will find the full range of BBC SD channels...which will close March 2024.
Should be able to pick these up at least, as they are on a frequency used before the SD to HD migration.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it