BBC Sounds app

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

BBC Sounds app

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:30 am

I use the BBC Sounds app on my phones to download plays and it was working fine up until a few days back. The option to download has disappeared on all phones. I use Smartdnsproxy so there shouldn't be a problem with my location and all the usual UK TV channels are working OK.

I contacted the BBC and received a stock reply. It does say I can't download from outside of the UK for rights reasons but it was all working fine until earlier last week. Is it something that has changed with my DNS do you think? The TV is wired to the router but the phones are obviously using wifi via the router where I've set up the DNS, would it make a difference?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC Sounds app

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am

Hi Wicksey,
Make and Model of phones..............?

Possible causes........

1) phones received updates that have screwed up some phone setting.

Some things to do........

Check the DNS setting on the phones........

Input the Smartdnsproxy settings in the phones...

Let us know how you get on......thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:52 am

Yes the download button has disappeared again. There must have been an App update, which has stopped VPNs and DNS servers from working. I checked podcasts and the download option is there. I tried a few things using the 2 VPNs and both DNS servers I subscribe to and none work so you will have to tell SmartDNS to ask them if they can rectify this. They usually do quite quickly but they do need to know there is a an issue.

As it's not a problem for me because i have unlimited data, I will not be the one send them a ticket. Let's hope they can find a solution quite quickly but if they can't , there are many cheap mobile phone options, which will offer decent data plans and might work out cheaper than having PAYG, especially as we use data when out and about more and more.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:18 am

We used to use Radioplayer then the BbC radio statiion or podcast. Thastopped working some months ago. “ not available through Radioplayer, do you want to continue outside” press that and it loads BBC SOUNDS. Works fine here without DNS !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:26 am

Yes, Sounds doesn’t need a DNS for live radio but does to download programs.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:17 am

I'll try Smartdnsproxy first as downloading is not an option on my laptop either, so it's not just the phones.

If you're having the same problem Mark then it's not just me. The last update I did on the phones for the app was 11 March but I've downloaded stuff in the past week or so OK. I use the phones on wifi at home but I prefer to listen offline at bedtime as we switch everything off overnight.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 pm

Contacted Smartdnsproxy and they suggested changing dns settings in my router, which I've tried to no avail. Now submitted the question to their helpdesk and will await their reply. They're very quick at sorting things out usually. Cannot see what else it could be other than the DNS as BBC state I cannot download whilst abroad. Strange that everything else is working OK.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:52 pm

Hi Wicksey,

Please lookup your DNS settings on your phones and POST.............
If they are not set to Smartdnsproxy.............please change and Post result.

Thanks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:48 pm

How do I do that Enrique? I've never set anything in the phones, the DNS is in the router so all devices should be covered by it. No problems looking at BBC iPlayer etc, just this Sounds app has stopped accepting I'm "in the UK".

I've sent loads of info requested by Smartdnsproxy help desk. Screenshots of all sorts of things from my laptop. I reset the DNS settings in the router as they first suggested but still no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled BBC Sounds to no avail. Even on my laptop there doesn't seem to be any option to download plays either. I have 3 phones and it's the same on all of them. Just the odd podcast allows downloads.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:18 pm

I’ve changed my settings in the phone and it still didn’t work. I’ve tried with 4G and the VPN, Wi-Fi with and without the DNS settings active while using the VPN and it still doesn’t work. It seems to me that the BBC has changed something and SmartDNS has to change something so their servers work again. Normally they will do it quite quickly after they are made aware of the problem.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi Wicksey,
From May 2023 the BBC is changing some broadcasting options, although it reads that this shouldn't impact on BBC Sounds , there may be under the hood tweaks that do.

So while you're waiting for a ' fix ' try clearing the BBC Sounds cache and turn off Location on the phone...............How to do it just use Google ........include your phone make in the search.

When you have done the above restart BBC sounds and see if the issue is fixed.

Leave the phone DNS settings for now.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:27 pm

Thanks Enrique, I've done that but that hasn't helped. Handy to have learned how to clear the cache for apps though.

Mark, Smartdnsproxy are working on it and will let me know in due course the results. I'm glad it's not just me as it does appear that something has happened with the app, whether BBC led or a problem with the DNS.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:38 am

Smartdnsproxy emailed this morning to say to reactivate my IP on their account page, sign out and back into BBC as they have fixed it. Just done that and the download button is back :thumbup: