"PWNED"

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

"PWNED"

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon May 01, 2023 8:33 am

I have been getting more spam emails than usual ( av:3 per day ).
I don't know if this is a need for me to worry, but I decided to use "Have I been pwned?"
This was the result :
" Oh,no - pwned!....Pwned in 1 data breach and found no pastes.".....not a clue what this means! :think:
Google searches seem to suggest changing my passwords is necessary.I use around 30 different passwords for the various sights ( eg: Amazon, Outlook, etc)
I really don't relish the thought of wading through the whole lot and setting new passwords.Do I really need to do this?

Any advice please?
Cheers JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: "PWNED"

Postby Enrique » Mon May 01, 2023 9:28 am

Hi jonbar.1,
All the info is out there..........either use Google or ChatGPT...........the following is what ChatGPT says...........

I'm sorry to hear that you've been affected by a data breach. Being "pwned" means that your personal information, such as usernames, passwords, or email addresses, has been compromised and potentially exposed to unauthorized individuals. It's important to take immediate steps to protect your online accounts and minimize the potential damage.

Here's what you can do:

Change your passwords: Start by changing the passwords for the affected accounts. Ensure that you use strong, unique passwords for each account. Consider using a reliable password manager to generate and store complex passwords securely.

Enable two-factor authentication (2FA): Enable 2FA wherever possible, as it provides an extra layer of security. This typically involves entering a verification code sent to your phone or email in addition to your password.

Monitor your accounts: Keep a close eye on your bank accounts, credit card statements, and other financial accounts for any suspicious activity. Report any unauthorized transactions to your bank or financial institution immediately.

Be cautious of phishing attempts: After a data breach, scammers may try to exploit the situation by sending phishing emails or messages pretending to be from legitimate sources. Be wary of clicking on suspicious links or providing personal information to unknown sources.

Regularly update software: Ensure that all your devices and software applications are up to date with the latest security patches. This helps protect against known vulnerabilities that hackers may exploit.

Use a monitoring service: Consider signing up for a reputable identity monitoring service that can help alert you if your personal information appears in any future data breaches.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

"I really don't relish the thought of wading through the whole lot and setting new passwords.Do I really need to do this?..........YES

Have a nice Day.................that's my bit............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 01, 2023 10:16 am

Changing passwords will not affect the amount of spam you are getting. You can only change that by changing your mail server. Gmail spam filtering is excellent from my experience.

As for passwords, I use 2FA on all my important accounts which is 99% secure. The bank security is now so secure that it is becoming an effort to access my accounts. Recently I spent 10 minutes trying to authorise a 20c parking fee on my parking app!

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks Enrique.
That's a huge amount to take in!
Chatgpt ( whoever they are!!)says:
"Start by changing the passwords for the affected accounts"
I do not know which are the affected accounts.
As far as I aware none of them are affected.
None of the spams bear any relation to any of my accounts.
Cheers again.
JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 01, 2023 10:40 am

Hi jonbar.1,
Have checked your email account against any Data breaches........... :?:

"Enter your email address, and HaveIBeenPwned will check to see if it’s been compromised in a data breach. If it has, you’ll see a list of sites that have exposed your data and what exactly was leaked"
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon May 01, 2023 10:42 am

Cheers Sid.
Interestingly I have just used "Have I been pwned" to check the addresses of all my contacts: they ALL show,pretty much, the same result as mine!( except Lady Jonbar who is apparently clean!)
I also read that the average spams per day/ per person is 21 !!
It's good when you're not alone :thumbup:

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon May 01, 2023 2:57 pm

Thanks again Enrique.
As I said in my original posting: I had already used " Have I Been pwned"
Below is a shot of my result.
at the top seems to be an ad for "1Password.com" :think:
Underneath is :"Breaches you were pnwed in"
The only entry is for something called "Onliner Spambot" ( 2017?)
I've never heard of it. I couldn't understand a single sentence of the details.Far too technical for me :roll:
Had a slight feeling they are trying to terrify me into using " 1Password".( perhaps I'm being paranoid)

As usual, I'm far better-off living in ignorance.
Always appreciate your efforts Enrique.
Thankyou: JB