Bye Bye Satback on Intelsat at 27.5w??!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
satandpcguy
Resident

Bye Bye Satback on Intelsat at 27.5w??!!

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Reports on various satellite forums are that the BBC Satback service will soon be moving off Intelsat at 27.5w.
Which makes sense as it is way pasts its original lifespan, and only extended to "early 2024" due to the MEV that was attached a few years ago.

This all comes from the reports that say that a copy of the satback service has appeared on Telstar at 15W.

On a very restrictive UK only beam. Which does not cover Spain. And if it did, the various other beams on the satellite carrying similar frequencies would drown them out.

So alternates may be needed soon (Kabelio, a Swiss satellite system on Hotbird could be worth a look... :wink: )

Nothing definite (i doubt Arqiva would confirm this to the general public), but all based on evidence on various satellite forums...

Thought the nice people on here would like to know.

(here is the thread on a satellite forum with more details about this : https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/thr ... 99/page-69 )
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bye Bye Satback on Intelsat at 27.5w??!!

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:50 pm

I'm amazed it lasted as long as it has.

I have been using the streaming options (BBC iPlayer etc) regularly for some time now. Over the last few years the quality of the HD streaming options has improved in quality to match the satellite live transmissions.

So, another box to go in the bin and one less remote!

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:26 pm

It will be a sad day. OK for those folk with adequate internet. Yet another reason for us to move and one less “ load of stuff” to take with us.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 pm

We have been getting a lot of very short (3 secs) dropouts but today we had 2 longer ones - 5 mins. Looks like the end is nigh!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm

Has it gone?
I am getting "Tune failed"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 pm

Seen that lots of people are reporting no signal...from about 1500 today... (on various forums, FB groups, and my own email!)
No idea if this is temporary (as it has gone down for a few days in the past) , or intentional and it is moving to its new satellite.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:22 pm

Mine went down a couple of weeks ago. After a week I ripped it all out and just use the live feeds on all the UK catchup apps. I stream via my Apple TV and I have now got used to it. In the past the picture quality on the apps was pretty poor but now they are as good as the satellite feed even on my 65” Samsung QD-OLED TV.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:54 pm

Sadly I don't have the luxury of a fibre optic connection with an unlimited download allowance.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:23 pm

Just got back home and no channels .

I guess I will find out just how good our “ unlimited “ Hispasat is. It is throttled when you hit a threshold per month but I am assured it s always fast enough to stream. Cant make the monitor usage app work and can never get through to Eurona help desk.