DIGIBOX DSB-780-FTA

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

DIGIBOX DSB-780-FTA

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Would the above Digi box be able to pick up all the free to view channels. The shop seems to think so but I am a bit dubious :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:21 pm

Any digital satellite receiver will be able to receive the free to air channels on Astra 28,2ºE. This is an Echostar model and it has a good specification.

You have to bear in mind that you will have to tune it in yourself and you may need to enter the audio and video PIDs. These can be found on various web sites.

You can find more information on this receiver here although it take a while for the page to load.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks Beachcomber - I picked it up on the web. It is just that everyone goes on about the Pace2600 etc. This is from my local shop in Nerja. He will also fit the Satellite dish which is 95cm!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm

The Pace 2600 is a Sky Digibox which has been superseded by the slightly inferior Pace DS430N.

Both of these will accept a Sky card and are currently the best digiboxes for use in southern Spain.

The Echostar is a Free to Air receiver which will NOT accept a Sky card but is a much more highly specified receiver. With the Echostar you will only receive the channels which are free to air (i.e. do not require a Sky card) such as all of the BBC channels plus ITV3 but NOT ITV 1, ITV 2 or Channel 4 or Five.

A 95cm dish may be a little on the small side but this could be compensated for by the higher spec of the Echostar. A 1,20m dish is usually required for reception of BBC channels with a Sky digibox.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

So, unlike the UK, are "freeview" digiboxes, where they receive "free to air" channels from a regular rooftop aerial, only able to receive satellite relayed "free to air" channels, and not those received from a regular aerial? The fact that the boxes are sold in shops/supermarkets in Spain suggests that they work as in the UK (i.e. not mandatorily with a satellite dish), but I can't recall seeing any posts that don't mention satellite dishes. Thanks.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Freeview receivers designed to receive digital programming via a UHF terrestrial rooftop antenna are unable to receive signals via a satellite. The frequencies are totally different.

See here for the difference between Freeview and Free to View or Free to Air.

Monterey
Tourist

Postby Monterey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:54 am

Sorry to jump in on someone else's question but we're moving out on the 12th September and are being advised to buy a digi box and card before we move over. What exactly should we be buying and where should we buy it from?
Thanks in advance

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:12 am

Thanks Beachcomber that answers my question beautifully. I shall go ahead with the free to view Echostar. My local Spanish dealer - much cheaper than what the others are offering including the Satellite dish :lol:

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:00 pm

OK Beachcomber, thanks for the link, that's cleared it up the differences between FV, FTV and FTA for me. Last (?) question, is there a Spanish Freeview (terrestrial aerial) Service?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:28 pm

Patricia, remember that you will be buying a Free to Air receiver NOT Free to View.

Zanuck, I knew you were going to ask that. I think the answer is 'No' but someone else may know better.

Monterey, you should be looking for, preferably, a Pace 2600 or failing that, a Pace DS430N. You may have to obtain it by mail order. This company has a good reputation. See about half way down the page for the Pace receiver.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:14 pm

There is a useful guide to digiboxes for southern Europe here
http://www.uk-satellite-tv.co.uk/recomm ... 59857.html
We have one of the silver Grundigs, no probs.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:58 pm

That's a good link, Hillybilly, and the Grundig 310/2 is great for southern Spain but unfortunately they are no longer available new although there may be some re-conditioned ones around.

I have three of the Panasonic TUDSB30s but they are beginning to show their age and find it difficult to cope with the software upgrades.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:08 pm

Yes I see the difference - I think! - I would receive only a few UK channels, that is BBC programs and no ITV programs, makes me think perhaps I do not a sky digibox then after all :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:11 pm

Yes, you will receive just the BBC channels and ITV3 plus, of course, all of the radio channels and various other free channels most of which are not worth watching.

A free to air receiver has no card slot so if, in the future, you decide you would like to have ITV as well this will not be possible at present.

There are ongoing discussions between ITV and Sky about payment for encryption and this may result in ITV going free to air as well but nothing has been decided at this stage.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:46 pm

Beachcomber your a darling - all is claro - I think after all a digi is the answer so many thanks :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:25 pm

Beachcomber wrote:There are ongoing discussions between ITV and Sky about payment for encryption and this may result in ITV going free to air as well but nothing has been decided at this stage.
Yes, I know, quoting from one of my own posts is sad but BBC and ITV have announced that they are to set up their own Freesat platform. Anyone interested can follow a fairly informed discussion on the subject here.