Where's my sky gone?!!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Where's my sky gone?!!!

Postby stellastaff » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:04 am

Can anyone help? We are in mountains, haven't had any problems with our sky until last night, it disappeared during the rain (quite normal) but has not since returned. We had no (known) lightning, although the previous night we did have a wicked thunderstorm without any affect other than the usual temp loss. At present the sky (literal) is clear blue and still no sky (satalite)!
Donna

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:16 am

Don't ask me why I posted this under 'food, drink, culture and entertainment'! I was not paying attention. Although I guess it could come under the 'Entertainment' bit...
Donna

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:55 am

Have you done a signal test? This will show you if you have lost signal strength/quality etc etc. It may be your dish has moved slightly? In which case it's time for one of you to get up on the roof and tweak. This counts as the "entertainment" bit!
Also try unplugging the whole system leave it for a few hours, then switch it all back on. This seems to "re-boot" the system and makes it forget its traumatising experience of losing the signal. :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:05 pm

Strange! Here in UK, we had some heavy rain and the only Sky channel we seem to have lost is the Spanish channel, TVE. :(
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Ah, Frank. I expect you watch that programme "Gente" to help improve your Spanish, or is it just to see the lovely Sonia Ferrer? :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:53 pm

Trigger wrote:Ah, Frank. I expect you watch that programme "Gente" to help improve your Spanish, or is it just to see the lovely Sonia Ferrer? :lol:
To my shame. I have to admit I do not watch a lot of it Just tried it after we came back from Spain, and it was duff! Still is in fact. There are some reasonable programmes on there, but equally, there is some pretty dire stuff as well. :(
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:14 am

:wink: You can please some people, all of the time
All the people, some of the time
but never, all the people, all of the time. :)

some people. only please themselves.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:28 pm

Thanks hillybilly, yep, we did all the signal strength/quality stuff and had none of either! Turns out we have a hole in the coaxil and this was letting in the rain! Hubby went and found it. After it dried out we didn't have anymore problems-til the next time it rains! :roll:
Donna

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:28 pm

Good to hear from you, thought you might've fallen off the roof...

almarb
Tourist

Postby almarb » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:43 pm

glad you found out what your sky problem was but you may find it useful to know, we live in the campo and often lose our signal in or even just before bad weather... when the rain subsides we find that the only way to get our signal back is by unplugging the sky box from the electricity supply for about ten minutes... then when we plug it back in the signal comes back (though you have to wait a couple of minutes whilst it "searches for listings")

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 pm

:lol: hello almarb
we live in the campo as well in cortes. i am told by my spanish neighbours that there is nothing worse than having a hole in your coaxil. :lol:

almarb
Tourist

Postby almarb » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:10 pm

Hi chris,

We count ourselves very lucky never to have experienced the painful problem of a holey coax.... lets hope it stays that way!!!