TVs brought from UK

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
JMM
Tourist

TVs brought from UK

Postby JMM » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:06 pm

We are moving to Alcala la Real near Granada within the next few weeks, and have had conflicting views on whether TVs brought from UK will work properly. Can anyone give me any information on this? I think they can be modified, but is this an expensive and complicated operation?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:29 pm

The only problem is if you want to receive Spanish TV channels. The frequency separation between the sound and vision is different in the UK to the rest of Europe. On some more expensive TVs this can be changed from within the set-up menu.

The conversion process can be expensive and leave an annoying buzzing noise on the audio. The most practical solution is to buy a cheap video recorder once you get here, connect it to the TV with a SCART cable and tune in the Spanish TV stations on the video.

If you plan to use a satellite receiver there is no problem as long as you connect it with a SCART cable NOT an RF cable (that's the one that plugs into the aerial socket).

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:20 am

Beachcomber wrote:The only problem is if you want to receive Spanish TV channels. The frequency separation between the sound and vision is different in the UK to the rest of Europe. On some more expensive TVs this can be changed from within the set-up menu.

The conversion process can be expensive and leave an annoying buzzing noise on the audio. The most practical solution is to buy a cheap video recorder once you get here, connect it to the TV with a SCART cable and tune in the Spanish TV stations on the video.

If you plan to use a satellite receiver there is no problem as long as you connect it with a SCART cable NOT an RF cable (that's the one that plugs into the aerial socket).
hmm, untrue. we have a uk tv, running a sky box, video and dvd player - using scart and rf cables.

i have a uk tv running spanish tv (no sound) and dvd and computer (music) linked by scart and s-video cables.

our tv set-up downstairs doesn´t work without an RF cable.

uk tv = spanish TV with no sound.

uk tv + spanish vcr OR converted tv = spanish tv with sound.

uk tv + skybox/dvd/uk vcr = everything works as it did in the uk.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 am

My comment about not using an RF cable was in respect of connecting a UK TV to a Spanish video or Spanish satellite receiver

Obviously a UK satellite receiver or Sky digibox will work with an RF connection to a UK TV but not to a Spanish video.

If you bring EVERYTHING from the UK and join it all together with RF leads it will work just the same as it did in the UK but there will be no sound on Spanish TV.

I am trying to discover what you consider in my original reply to be untrue.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:53 pm

Beachcomber wrote:I am trying to discover what you consider in my original reply to be untrue.
alright, i was wrong i mis-read you statement.
ffs.. what is this forum coming to hen every comment has to be justified :(

if i misread it, its because you failed to type in a way which could be understood. you stated that "all" tvs/sky/video would not need RF. ours (all english) doesn´t work without it. therefore i called you incorrect. why are you stressing? does it really matter :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 pm

spanish_lad wrote: ...you failed to type in a way which could be understood ...
Really?? :?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
spanish_lad wrote: ...you failed to type in a way which could be understood ...
Really?? :?
indeed.. nothing to do with you.. obviously.. you said -
Beachcomber wrote:If you plan to use a satellite receiver there is no problem as long as you connect it with a SCART cable NOT an RF cable (that's the one that plugs into the aerial socket).
i fail to see where this mentions UK or spanish skyboxes...you never said either way. so dont moan about me picking you up on it...

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:45 pm

Good Grief, lad, I was just trying to answer JMM's question not write a technical dissertation on the subject. Anyway, where can I buy one of these 'spanish skyboxes'?