ADSL again (sorry)

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Ashcroft
Andalucia.com Amigo

ADSL again (sorry)

Postby Ashcroft » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:14 pm

I posted a previous question about obtaining a fast internet connection. We have called Telephonica and they confirm that ADSL is not available to us. It was suggested in the forum that we could try a wireless service but would prefer not to as we have already been in trouble when we had a SKY satelite dish erected!
On typing our phone no into ya.com we are told that ADSL is possible and we can fill in an online form to order it from them.
I assumed that Telephonica were rather like BT in that they provided the lines and there was no competition but maybe this is not so. Can anyone enlighten me? Has anyone had any experience of ya.com?
I would be very grateful for any advice as we are still at the beginners stage in our Spanish lessons and find the Spanish web pages very difficult to interpret.
Thanks
Chris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:26 pm

If Telefónica say you are out of range of ADSL then it is unlikely that you will be able to connect with another supplier. There is only one fixed line telephone network. The other companies are just resellers of the same service.

With whom were you in trouble for erecting a satellite dish? This could only happen if you are on an urbanisation and unless the community is able to provide a viable alternative you cannot be prevented from erecting your own equipment.

foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby foremarion » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:09 pm

I have a telefonica line and also ya.com for my internet. No problems whatsoever with the service - cost me 44 euros a month.
For all my phonecalls however I go through Spantel, very pleased with the service - all calls to england seem very reasonable. They also do an internet adsl service and I was thinking of comparing. You could ask yourself - they speak good English and are helpful - 902020202.
Good Luck :P

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:37 pm

I have reproduced this from another forum , it may help:
For those of us who want English language TV, but are thwarted by community rules banning satellite dishes, there IS an answer!
E.U. law specifically lays down that all citizens of EU states are entitled to receive broadcast programs, inc. TV, in THEIR OWN LANGUAGE!.
In Spain this has been incorporated into the "Ley de Telecommunicationes 1998."
Faced by an obstructive President or administrator, formal notice must be seved on the President stating which broadcast services you wish to have . The community MUST respond within 15 days. If they are not willing to provide the service, you must serve notice again to the effect that if they do not comply with your request within three calendar months, you will exercise your rights under the law and erect your own broadcast receiver.(Parabolica etc.).
THEY CAN NOT TELL YOU TO TAKE IT DOWN, if you have strictly followed the correct proceedures as they would be in breach of the law of Spain!
WE have just this situation in our urbanisation, where we are, (supposedly) not allowed to erect a SKY dish on our own terrace, virtually hidden from sight and screened by plants.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Beachcomber wrote:This could only happen if you are on an urbanisation and unless the community is able to provide a viable alternative you cannot be prevented from erecting your own equipment.
Beachcomber, is this based solely on the law (as outlined in Spanish Hopes post), or is there something else contributing to that.

I only ask, as I live on a development where there has been obstruction to Sky dishes, ADSL connections etc, and we are trying to arm ourselves with as much information as possible to be able to fight this.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Luffes, this link may help your cause.

Click on 'ES' for a Spanish translation in Word, PDF or HTML format.

Ashcroft
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ashcroft » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:28 pm

Beachcomber, yes we are on an urbanisation. The president told us the satellite dish was too high so we lowered it and she seems ok with it now, but I don't think another dish would go down too well. I guess we'll just have to be patient and hope that one day we will get ADSL.

Chris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:49 pm

The ADSL antenna is usually a mesh rectangle about 50cm across. It is not very noticeable but you do need to be in line of site of a transmitter.