AOL and Terra

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

AOL and Terra

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 am

I recently set up a Terra e-mail acount. It works very well, except when I send e-mails to my daughter who is with AOL. They bounce back saying that AOL does not accept e-mails from organisations who distribute spam.

My BT Openworld account is still running (despite me cancelling it), so at the moment it is not a major problem, but could be if the BT account is ended.

I thought Terra were a respectable company. Anyone else had this problem, or know a way round it?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:06 am

Hi Alan,

Don`t know anyway round it all, this is normal for AOL personally I wouldn`t touch them with a barge pole. I worked in IT in the UK with over 200,000 customers and our system would not work if you where using AOL so we advised all of our customers not to use them.

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:12 am

AOL are a pain in many ways and can cause various problems. However I send mail and receive mail via Terra/AOL without any problems and have been doing so for some time. Is your daughter on the latest version of AOL? Maybe you should set up a hotmail/yahoo account to email her.
I wear it well...........

Grehan
Andalucia.com Amigo

AOL

Postby Grehan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:13 am

We had a spate of AOL bouncing back emails to our friends.
When we contacted our (quite respectable) ISP they said this was typical of AOL.
We concur: AOL is nasty nasty nasty. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Persuade your daughter to move to a decent ISP. :) :)
[The only problem is that installing AOL on a computer is pretty non-reversible - impossible fully to remove, once done. Which is a good enough reason just on its own not to do it in the first place.]

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:49 am

I think I have mentioned this before but I run Spywareblaster on my computer and terra.es features in the list of restricted sites under CoolWebSearch(987).

I have to manually disable the protection against this site otherwise access to my Telefónica email accounts is blocked. I know this is a problem at source rather than destination but it could explain why there is sometimes a problem accepting emails from accounts associated with terra.es.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:40 pm

otherwise access to my Telefónica email accounts is blocked.
I thought terra were telefonica?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:01 pm

I had probs for over a year sending emails to NTL and fsnet.co.uk email accounts which were rejected from my terra.es account. Had a D-link router intstalled so I can connect several computers and now the emails work fine. Weird

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 pm

I have e-mail with Telefonica, Terra and YA and telefonica refuses any access to my YA account, I can only view it online !! my sister in law in the UK has freeserve and they refuse to acknowledge any e-mails sent to either my Terra account or my Telefonica address, they are all as bad as one another :roll:
Lorraine

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:19 pm

Alan, Terra IS part of Telefónica but they definitely have some connection with CoolWebSearch which is some kind of spyware.

Although I have to disable the Spywareblaster protection to access my Telefónica email account I have no trouble sending emails because I have a router which effectively disguises their source and this is probably how the problem was resolved for sunkissed.

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Terra

Postby k » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:48 pm

Is this a recent change that AOL will not accept Terra ?
There reason I ask is that my Abogado emails through Terra.es and I have communicated with him on many occasions. Saying that I have had no reply to an email sent to him a few weeks ago and I have put that down to 'he will reply one day'

You could test it by asking your daughter to add you in her address book, the settings have an option that says you will always get email from people in your address book.

If this doesn't work, appreciate feedback because it could mean I can no longer communicate with my Abogado via email any longer.