Will my British Sony TV work in spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Linda Kaye
Tourist

Will my British Sony TV work in spain

Postby Linda Kaye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:54 pm

I have two tv's I would like to bring from the UK to Spain along with a video player and a dvd. Will I be able to use them.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:20 pm

You will not be able to pick up Spanish tv (picture yes but the sound will be distorted), for this you will need to buy a spanish dvd or vhs player, then connect to your tv then, you will receive spanish tv, If you wish to use it for Sky then it will work, we bought ours with us and it was fine using both ways.
pwwm

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:07 pm

pwwm wrote:You will not be able to pick up Spanish tv (picture yes but the sound will be distorted), for this you will need to buy a spanish dvd or vhs player, then connect to your tv then, you will receive spanish tv, If you wish to use it for Sky then it will work, we bought ours with us and it was fine using both ways.
pwwm

For reception of Spanish TV, VHS recorder yes, DVD player no.

Spanish Video Recorders include a TV tuner using the Spanish TV standard so they will provide a satisfactory signal to the UK TV.

DVD players will play DVDs but do not include a TV tuner so cannot produce a suitable TV signal. They will play DVDs OK through the UK TV.

The new DVD recorders, like Video recorders, usually include a TV tuner so they would work OK.

If you really want to watch Spanish TV, then the best bet is to buy one of the new TDT digital boxes (same as UK Freeview) which receives digital pictures from a normal TV aerial and connects to the TV via a Scart cable. This will work with a UK TV just like a Sky Digibox does. They cost about 60 euros and you can get about 20 Spanish channels including some with films in English. There is no subscription.

Sid

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:40 pm

If your english TV has a country option in the menu, then it will work fine on its own, once you select SPAIN. This has been a feature in many TVs now for a while, as its probably easier for the manufacturers to include this than to have 2 different standards.
some very cheap tellys from the UK have thgis feature, so its not down to the original cost

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Conversely, will a "Spanish" telly work with a Sky receiver?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Yes, but only if connected with a Euroconnector (SCART).

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:59 pm

Cheers Beachy. I certain the existing one has a SCART lead to it's off to Garcia at Christmas to make Blas happy. :lol:

alisonb
Resident

tv and dvd

Postby alisonb » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 pm

To add to questions about Spanish TVs - we want to buy a portable in Spain, to connect to a DVD from UK. Not worried about being able to watch Spanish TV on it. I've seen questions about most combinations but can't find anything about this. Will this work OK?

Alison
AlisonB

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Yes, as long as you connect it with a Euroconnector (SCART). If your DVD player has an RF connection and you use that you will be back to the problem of picture but no sound.

nigel_t
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nigel_t » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:21 am

[quote="El Cid
new TDT digital boxes (same as UK Freeview) which receives digital pictures from a normal TV aerial and connects to the TV via a Scart cable.
Sid[/quote]

Where can I buy one of them there TDT boxes?
Wish I Was Horse Riding

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:46 am

nigel_t wrote:Where can I buy one of them there TDT boxes?
Just about anywhere you would buy a TV.

The large hypermarkets have them. You should find one for 60 euros or less.

Not all areas have coverage yet. If you go to http://www.tdt.es/ you can enter your postcode and see what is available in your area.

Sid

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:00 pm

I ended up buying a chav telly in the end which is a bit on the large side but as it was only €200 it was a bargain. I also bought a 5.1 Sony system which was also a bargain at €100 including the DVD player but it can only be connected to the telly via a SCART and three line cable adaptor. As far as I can tell it's impossible to connect it to the Satellite box as there is no SCART connection, only a single digital socket.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how or if this can be done?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:14 pm

If the TV does not have two AV inputs you will need something like this.

If you go down this road make sure you get a SCART switch box not a SCART splitter.

For better sound from the digibox you can take a feed from the RCA/phono 'audio out' on the digibox and connect it to the 'audio in' or 'aux' input on the Sony system. This will also enable you to listen to satellite radio without having to leave the TV switched on.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:33 pm

A mine of information - cheers. I'll try it when I'm over there later this month.

:lol: