Tenerife

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tenerife

Postby phototext » Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm

As a non resident can I buy a car in Tenerife then take the ferry to the mainland for it to live in Mijas?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tenerife

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 pm

You will need a padron certificate and possibly proof of address such as your deeds for the property you own or a rental agreement. I don't believe there is a problem buying it from Tenerife as I know of people here in Andalucia who have bought cars from other regions such as Alicante or Madrid, I don't think there would be a problem as such. I'm a resident do didn't need to produce the house deeds but did need a padron certificate. As a non-resident I'm not sure you can register on the padron?

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Thu May 19, 2022 9:10 pm

I am on the padron as advised by my solicitor when we bought the house. She still thinks that’s ok although others think it’s a problem now. I don’t need the padron to buy a car in Andalucia, just my nie. What I have learned about Spain is that contradiction abounds!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 19, 2022 9:33 pm

There may be a problem as I am sure Tenerife has different vat rules to the mainland.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 20, 2022 8:29 am

You shouldnt be on the padron if you arent a resident as you are declaring spain as your habitual home.it could cause issues with the tax man. Theres also been several cases recently of non residents having their cars impounded because they were stopped and had uk licences (which they should as non residents) but because of uk licences now being invalid in certain cases the police checked and saw they were on the padron so took the cars. Fines and costs have gone into the thousands. Theres the BOE that clearly says you shouldnt be on it if you arent a res

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 20, 2022 9:51 am

We have always had to have a padron certificate when buying a car here. We've bought two in the past 5 years.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Fri May 20, 2022 10:20 am

I think the car dealers use the padron as proof of residency as it means less paperwork. We went to the town hall this year with our certificates and made it quite clear we were non resident with a young girl who had good english, but I think we are still on it. Solicitor says it’s ok in writing. I pay non resident tax!

It looks like tenerife has no vat, uses a different tax. That explains the good deal (sic)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 21, 2022 8:27 am

Yeah dealerships are lazy so ask for the padron as its the easiest way for them to registar a car.house deeds etc should be used if non resident.

The townhall wants you on as they get more more money.nerja townahll makes a point of trying to get non residents on! Inreality in any other country it would be classed as fraud.

Aslong as you lawyer wont charge you for dealing with problems if the guardia pull you for driving on a uk licence when you have registered on the padron or hacienda comes sniffing?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 21, 2022 12:51 pm

A Spanish neighbour's Daughter had been living in Mallorca and brought back a car. She was pulled by Police and told she had to reregister?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 31, 2022 6:12 pm

phototext wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm As a non resident can I buy a car in Tenerife then take the ferry to the mainland for it to live in Mijas?
As far as I'm aware you can but I think you will have to pay some taxes. even though they are a peripheral member of the E U the various tax systems in the Canary islands are quite different from the mainland, a decent gestor will know !

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:47 am

phototext wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm As a non resident can I buy a car in Tenerife then take the ferry to the mainland for it to live in Mijas?
It's all a question of what risk you want to take!!

Firstly, it involves an importation of the car from canarias to peninsula.
Secondly, once you arrive you have 6 months to inform DGT.

It's not worth it if you don't satisfy the criteria for "zero" costs. for instance, you have to have owned it for minimum 6 months.

Don't get too wrapped up in thinking that the car will be cheaper in Canarias just because IGIC is considerably lower than IVA. greater choice of dealers in mainland.

We're in peninsula at moment and decided to buy another car here rather than in canarias after analysing costs.

With our other vehicles from canarias we've changed nothing, but that's a risk we take. My partner is a funcionario and isn't scrutinised as much as a foreigner (me) at the ports.