2ndhand Landrovers?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

2ndhand Landrovers?

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:51 am

In a similar vein to Detourer's Campo Vans thread...does anyone know of any places with a selection (meaning more than one, preferably!) of 2ndhand Landrovers? Am looking for an old one (SWB, diesel), not new style, predominantly for campo use. Anywhere in the Malaga - Sevilla - Granada triangle. I already know of Antonio's yard by the A92 near Mollina. Or any pointers to any that you know are for sale. Ta.

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:19 pm

They are starting to become rare beasts in my part of the world and in the end I bought an old Niva instead. Very capable, cheap spares but doesn't pull much weight.

I will watch this thread with interest

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Hillybilly, what's your budget?
Ah! the full english!!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:27 pm

er...low!

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 pm

There is only one thing worse than a Land Rover...........and that is a cheap Land Rover :?
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:05 pm

a cheap campo van? :wink:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 pm

You guys may or may not have guessed by now but Tidal is my brother...( he will kill me for this one :shock: Sorry Bro ) Landrovers have been a part of our lives for as long as I can remember. It does get weirder I married a guy who was a landrover fanatic and we had two which stood the test of time. One was a 1964 LWB safari which did the trip to Spain at leat 4 times.

My/Our Dad purchased a SWB ex army canvas backed petrol when we were kids in London and we loooooooooooooooooouuuuuuured it. No seriously it was the best thing since sliced bread as far as we were concerned.

Since then the whole family, with the exception on Big Bro have had a love affair with Landrovers.

Okay done now :oops:
There is only one thing worse than a Land Rover...........and that is a cheap Land Rover:
Really depends how bad it is and how clever and knowledgeable you are :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:04 am

Next to the river bed (usual thing, roadway unless torrential rain) at Rio Solano there is Mañana Motors - known locally as "the Landy Garage"! There are Land Rovers hiding in bushes and parked around, but don't know if any will work, or can be made to work! Can't give you a phone number, as the one I have is for the lady of the boss, and she ain't his lady any more.......
Rio Solano is reached by turning off the Benamargosa-Riogordo road at km 9.5, down through Llano Almendra, over the fally-down bridge then keep straight on for about 2kms ignoring the sharp left turn up to Comares - the steep track brings you down opposite the garage.
Last edited by peteroldracer on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am

Morning Trog....

I was of course joking……….and I know you will never convert a Land Rover fanatic/fan.

Land Rovers have played a BIG part in my life and in many ways shaped what I am today [battered, old, creaky etc]. Rover’d twice UK-South Africa, UK-India-UK, and Sahara/N Africa oh so many times, Mid East, Russia etc etc. Most of these were done while running a company called “Trailmasters” [that I sold when moving to Spain]. At Trailmasters we ran a fleet of LR’s as support vehicles and also had 6 based in Vancouver BC. My new company has 4 in Morocco. When the sale of www.Tralmasters.com [still very much around] went through I had some time to kill and was recruited by Land Rover to run an Off Road Vehicle Demonstration centre for their “Special Vehicle” department, in Mid-UK. Etc etc etc

In between I freelanced/regular monthly for Land Rover Owner mag and was as feature and expedition editor for Land Rover World mag etc…….

Land Rovers have, like I said, played a massive part in my life……but I am not a fan!

During the later part of this earlier life I converted, for personal vehicles, to the Jap’s have since owned only Nissan or Toyota 4x4’s…...For reliability LR does not even come close to these. Now that the “Dealer” network in Morocco is established we will get shot of the LR’s there and switch to Toyota.

It was a shame to see a great vehicle and company slither down the pan. But that’s the Brit way and they wonder why so many of us just walk away.

Anyway, that has loosened the fingers, so back to some proper work……….
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:12 am

Thanks to all for your replies and PMs. Am off to see 8 landies now and a (ahem) cheap Jeep tonight....

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:54 am

Ah, the great debate. Land Rovers have suffered from this reliability perception for some time, often justified in the case of Detourer with personal experience but more often by exaggeration from armchair experts.

It partly comes down to the very role they play in life, given that off road driving is not the most hospitable environment for a vehicle so bits are bound to fall off. Now whilst I admit that various Discos and Rangies over the years have not done the brand much good on occasion the Series I/II/III/Defender is an excellent vehicle and in my opinion the best off roader there is.

Some of the Japanese stuff comes close but the problems occur when they actually do break down. The Landy is very easy to repair compared to any of the above and provided you're reasonable with a spanner, the belt and braces approach can be used to solve most problems - not something you can do with the average Land Cruiser. Parts are also incredibly cheap.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself why 70% of all Land Rover products are still on the road. A claim that Nissan, Toyota et al cannot make.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Indeed a great debate……

I will concede that in their time Land Rover were unbeatable. But that was largely because there was no serious alternative. In the early days you were falling all over them [or pushing them] in every corner of the globe. They were, and still are a formidable Off-Roader. But in serious use there has always been issues regarding reliability. Early users will confirm Gearbox, Clutch, Engine and Axel problems and build quality was a joke. It was said that at the end of the production line there was a man in a brown coat whose job it was to make sure they leaked. Rotting floor pans confirm.

As soon as the Japs came along it went wrong and LRover were bumped everywhere. Agencies, Business and Armies switched at an alarming rate. As working vehicles they are, in new form, a rare sight around the World. I for example have had dozens of Land Rovers….Never, ever again…….after we get rid of the Moroccan ones. See this link, if it works.....

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t245 ... C00112.jpg

Yes, you could at least fix the earlier models, but not the later range. They are an electronic nightmare…..

But, like no other they have a huge brand following. There are hundreds of clubs, known as “Bonnet-Up-Clubs”. Now and again an “Adventure” lifts the brand. But you should have seen the support/spares/logistics behind scenes needed on the “Camel” for example.

ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ex patriot 66 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:05 pm

as an Ex land rover owner all the things said in the thread are generally true , as a non car owner at the moment when I do purchase a motor I think the lwb shogun will probably come out my best bet , needless to say my old landy pictured above would of been ideal out here for dueling on the roundabouts

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:31 pm

It still begs the question as to why, if they're so unreliable, nearly 75% of all Land Rovers manufactured are still on the road today?

They can't be that bad.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Well, after seeing lots of cr@p vehicles this morning, this evening I (may) have found one! Only drawback is...it's orange! But at least I will stand out in the campo, amongst the olives...

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 pm

In my opinion there's no question that the best 4 wheel drive reliable "workhorse" is the Toyota landcruiser, but, well it's not a Landrover is it, I doubt, unreliability aside, that there's a classier car in the world than a Range Rover!!
Ah! the full english!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm

4.0L cherokee in white, spanish plates, itv'd... €1000. looks to be 1992/1993 ... u want the number? its in san pedro. i'd get it myself and bin the uk plated one we have, but i dont have the cash...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:28 pm

My ex-brother-in-law sold his company many years ago, and treated himself to the top two British motors of that time (Rolls excepted!) - a Jaguar XJ6, and a Range-Rover. The Jag aircon only lasted two days, the electric windows packed in and there was no manual override, the inner door handles fell off, meaning he had to reach out of the window and open the door fro the outside - except he couldn't open the window.....The Range Rover was delivered without a third gear - not even fitted in the box!
And the union men ranted on about hours, pay, holidays, lack of loyalty of the British buying public - nary a word about how their members would strive for improved quality...... :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:It still begs the question as to why, if they're so unreliable, nearly 75% of all Land Rovers manufactured are still on the road today?

They can't be that bad.
This is another one of the Great Land Rover porkies/myth......and one we would laugh at when I worked for them. Think about it......look at the number made since 1947.....nearly every 4x4 vehicle on the road would be a Land Rover. Granted there are some [quite a few] very old ones still running around, but not 75%........ :shock:

Before I moved over here I was sent by Land Rover to Demo Disco's and Freelanders for a well known property agent on the Del Sol............I did a good job and they contracted 35 vehicles. Returned them all after 6 weeks.

And yes, they are that bad....... sorry to say.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Sorry I still have a long running love affair with Land Rovers. In my youth I worked for a garage, the NE of UK and we were one of the main dealers for Jaguars, Land Rover and all that was then British Leyland. I cannot help how I feel and there remain things in my heart which I still hold dear, however sad this might seem. I make no apologies :lol: