Children in cars

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Children in cars

Postby gerryh » Sat May 24, 2008 2:41 pm

What is the law, in Spain about carrying a 3 year old and a 4 year old in a car?
Rear seats only and booster seats required?

Visitors with 2 children arriving middle of June.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Can't help with the answer sorry, but if they put a card in the rear window with "little Princess on board" than hit them over the head with a big stick with a spike in it from me please :shock:

Kenny

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat May 24, 2008 3:46 pm

It's the same law throughout Europe now.
You need an appropriate restraint for their age & height. So, if they are a small 4 year old then a booster with a back piece. I don't know how often the police enforce this law as I frequently see the Spanish driving around with kids bouncing around the car and even sitting on the driver's knee :shock:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 24, 2008 4:24 pm

The other day, as I was about to cross the road, a car speeding along the street towards me clipped a wing mirror of a parked vehicle and broke his own wing mirror off. The driver screeched to a halt right in front of me. In the footwell of the passenger seat and trying to clamber back up, was a toddler that had just been jettisoned off the passenger seat as his dad braked :shock:
He was obviously more concerned about retrieving his wing mirror than for the wellbeing of his baby.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat May 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Did I not read in the "Sur" [just woke up, so may have been a dream] that a chap got nicked last week for having a pack of beer in the back......held in with the seat-belt......and his kid climbing about free?

............ :?
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Children under three must be in a proper child seat approved by the EU and children under twelve or less than 1,5m must be in the rear of the vehicle on a booster seat also approved.

Enforcement is severe as is the maximum number of people allowed to be carried in the vehicle.

More information here:

http://www.dgt.es/portal/visualizar.do? ... fantil.swf

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 24, 2008 8:24 pm

detourer wrote:Did I not read in the "Sur" [just woke up, so may have been a dream] that a chap got nicked last week for having a pack of beer in the back......held in with the seat-belt......and his kid climbing about free?
............ :?
It was on "Have I Got News For You" and I think was in Oz.

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Sun May 25, 2008 9:33 am

Its a crazy world. I often see a man and woman on a scooter in Almuñecar with a small child standing in front of the driver. I wonder if the police stop them ?

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sun May 25, 2008 10:17 am

That must be the same scooter driver I have seen in AEG, ADT, Coin, Cart, VillaF etc etc.............get's about a'bit......... :lol:

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Don

Postby Don » Mon May 26, 2008 8:33 am

gronc wrote:Its a crazy world. I often see a man and woman on a scooter in Almuñecar with a small child standing in front of the driver. I wonder if the police stop them ?
Try man driving scooter, woman sat behind him and sone sat behind her, small daughter stood in footwell peering over handlebars and shopping bags stuffed all around their legs and hanging on everyones arms. Crazy world indeed and not a casco between them.

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I understand that the Police local to my area are now fining people for not having DOGS restrained or at least held back by a dog guard between the back seat and boot area.......