Bike registration.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Bike registration.

Postby mhic » Sun May 25, 2008 10:45 am

Anyone know where I can find out if I will be able to get my motorbike registered over here. Having spent a small fortune re-building it and countless hours I have been told there have been changes in the system and traffico may say no. Dont want to spend any more time and money on a dead horse.

Mick.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:28 pm

My dad just got his imported ex army Kawasaki 1100 changed over if that is any help, just ask a gestor for advice.

Don

Postby Don » Mon May 26, 2008 8:29 am

I have just changed bike from UK to Spanish plate. Was worth using a Gestor for some of it but basically it is a 3 step procedure.
1. Get a ficha reducida. Possibly from the manufacturer or if not from the engineer's college. (price from 80 to 120 euros)
2. Get an ITV which checks against the ficha reducida and they will issue a ficha tecnica within days (another 120 odd euros)
3. Register vehicle with Trafico and get assigned a number. Pay taxes and first year circulation tax (depends on bike value for matriculation tax and engine size for circulation tax)

Basically if bike is a standard model sold in Spain you shouldnt have problems but if it is at all modified then it can be difficult.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon May 26, 2008 5:37 pm

I know the procedure but the bike was made for the US market only imported into the UK in 95' and I brought it here in 2004. I also have someone to do the job but I have been told it will be a no go and I dont want to spend more money getting a ficha whatever if that's true.

Mhic.

Don

Postby Don » Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 pm

OK but have you any idea why you are told it will not be accepted?

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 am

The bike was never meant to be sold in Europe it was for the US market only and was downgrade from a 750 to a 700 to get round US import laws. There were changes to the rules re registering vehicles here recently and that's where my bike may fall foul at least that's what I have been told.

Mhic.

Don

Postby Don » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 am

Sounds like your problem is to get type approval (normally certificate of conformity). The Engineer's college would have the definitive answer.