How to send a car to scrap

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
kexon
Resident

How to send a car to scrap

Postby kexon » Sat May 31, 2008 6:02 pm

I have a Suzuki Vitara a lovely car but it has to go. It has an electrical problem, and having replaced the ECU and the power unit a costly experience it has another electrical problem.
I've had it seven years and no problems until recently, I don't really want to see it go.
My question is how do you send a car to scrap, do you get anything from the scrap yard. I have paid out €1,000 on the parts and labour above and would like to get something back.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 31, 2008 6:54 pm

I scrapped a vehicle with the scrapyard in Casariche a few years ago. No, nothing back, but cost nowt either! You could take out the "good" bits and sell them on eBay?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Are you sure the problem can't be resolved. I use a couple of Spanish mechanics in a back street garage and they have kept my old Suzuki Santana on the road for the past fifteen years and there is nothing that has beaten them, so far!

kexon
Resident

How to scrap a car

Postby kexon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for the replies.
It seems to me that as one piece is replaced it seems to affect another piece along the line. all the problems are electrical.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:04 am

I dont think they will pay you anything - the scrapyard will collect your car and take it away, in return they get to salvage the good bits.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Don

Postby Don » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

All I know is from a colleague and that is scrapping a car must somehow involve you getting it recognisd as scrapped by your registration town hall. Otherwise they keep on sending you the tax bill, as happened to my colleague for a few years until he managed to sort it out.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:35 pm

A proper scrap yard will provide you with the correct documentation with which to 'baja' the vehicle.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 am

Quite right, official scrapyards are inspected regularly and will do the necessary paperwork for you. Should you receive a tax bill afterwards, you can show the paperwork to the appropriate tax office.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am

On a similar tack, I have a JCB which is road legal and I pay the road tax annually at the town hall. It is a waste of money really as it never leaves our finca. Is there any way I can de-register it for road use although it will not be scrapped?