Do they have the equivelent of a Q plate in Spain??

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Campo Kenny

Do they have the equivelent of a Q plate in Spain??

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Just bought a car by default that has never been on the UK roads, it spent it's life from new on the track........I'd love to take it to Spain much to OH's misplaced digust :roll: to do a bit of blatting around the mountain roads etc.

Problem is speaking to DVLA here I cannot put it on age related plate without producing all bills for new parts that went into it when new........just about impossible for me to do that.
I can however they now tell me register it on a Q plate, which although not ideal has benefits...i.e. no emmission tests at MOT :D

Before I get into hours of grief with the invisible powers that be over there, am I barking up the wrong tree with this one?
I know similar vehicles with proper plates have been rejected for matriculation but thought maybe the Q plate loophole or similar may exist over there...............I'm only thinking this as I keep seeing 'orrible little fibreglass 2 seat things that would not be legal here being driven around.

Many thanks for any help/thoughts,
Kenny

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Kenny, I can't give you the reasons why (as I never asked) but several years ago I tried to import a Q registered Westfield seven into Spain and was told no! Maybe the rules have changed since but my best advice would be to ask at the local ITV station or Trafico.
Ah! the full english!!