Insurance for German plated car?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Insurance for German plated car?

Postby katy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Does anyone know if any of the brokers who insure UK plated cars will insure a german one?

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toyotadesigner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53 am

No, I don't know. But be careful: a German licence plate means you have to have your car inspected by the **German** TÜV (similar to the ITV). An ITV inspection in Spain doesn't mean anything and it doesn't protect you if you should happen to have an accident: no insurance would pay a cent if the TÜV sticker expired. The only workaround is to drive the car to Germany, have it inspected and get a new TÜV sticker for 2 years.

The bad news: the insurance won't inform you about this dirty trick because they want your money.

In short words: no valid TÜV sticker, no insurance. That's why I have registered my car in Spain a week after I've driven it down here.
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:07 pm

toyotadesigner wrote: That's why I have registered my car in Spain a week after I've driven it down here.
Did you buy a German car and drive it down?

I dont want to drive my Irish-registered car in Spain or even register it because its a right-hand drive.
I would prefer a left-hand drive.
I heard second-hand Spanish cars are expensive so I was going to pick one up in Germany and bring it to Spain and register it there. Second-hand German cars appear to be a bit cheaper.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Have you considered buying a LH drive car in Ireland or mainland Britain?
Might find them cheaper as everybody drives on the right.
My LH drive motor home was reasonably priced in Britain.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Some of these hooky companies that insure foreign registered vehicles will take your money then find an excuse not to pay when it comes to the crunch.

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toyotadesigner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:24 pm

Hiker,

my car is 21 years old, so I just had to pay a reduced tax.

The Spanish second hand cars are currently very reasonable, because the sales for new cars went down by 70% over the last months.

It is cheaper to buy a car in Spain than in Germany because it'll save you the registration and all the hassle.

As soon as you have a Spanish registration, you can insure your car with Axa or Mapfre for low prices.

Actually no Spanish insurance company can issue an insurance for a foreign car with foreign licence plates - that's always a rip-off or scam.
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:08 pm

I would think the hassle of purchasing and importing and all the red tape associated would probably be too much grief.

Gerry, I never thought of buying a lefthander in Ireland. I would guess that the market is probably too small (Ireland 5 mil: Britain 60 mil).

I think I will bring mt motorcycle, though. Its only a 125cc but at least I'll have a set of wheels while I get settled in and look for a car, which has to be convertable. By God, I've dreamt of a convertable for two years now. Nothing fancy, just so long as I can see the sky.

And I dont want to hear any negatives.(hands over ears, mumbling, mumbling....)

It will be mine..........

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 am

I know you don't want negatives, but......check insurance prices for your dream soft-top. We met someone in the sticks who brought his beloved Saab from Ireland, and then spent a fortune getting it matriculated and insured.......unless you just want on as a display piece in a glass case in the hall? :?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:13 pm

What would be great is a link to a spanish equivelent of www.carzone.ie

Would you have a link to something like that in Andalucia? Even if its in spanish, it would give me some idea of types and prices etc.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 am

" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"