Low Profile Tyres

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Izzie D
Andalucia.com Amigo

Low Profile Tyres

Postby Izzie D » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi All,

This might seem an odd question, but does anyone out there have low profile Tyres? I need 2 new ones on my Brum, Brum and the garage says he will have to get them specially made as these things don't exist in Spain!!!!!! - Surely this can't be true???

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:11 pm

It might help to say where in Spain you are? Assuming you are in Spain as your location is shown in your profile as Devon. :(

Cheers
Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:51 pm

There's plenty of vehicles in Spain using Low profile tyres as standard fitment so I'd assume there'd not be a problem obtaining them.

Out of interest what size is the tyre?
As for the garage saying "specially made", I think he may be getting mixed up with F1 cars to be honest :wink:
Is there a dealer you can phone of your paticular cars make?

Kenny

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:There's plenty of vehicles in Spain using Low profile tyres as standard fitment so I'd assume there'd not be a problem obtaining them.
Even a Seat Leon has an option for 225/40 R18 tyres. You would have to buy a Ferrari to get much lower profile than that.

Sid

Izzie D
Andalucia.com Amigo

Low Profile Tyres

Postby Izzie D » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Gerry, Kenny and Sid;

Gerry; I am in La Puebla de Cazalla - East of Seville, only been here a week and forgot to change my profile!!

Kenny; it's a Subaru and i think the tyre size is 205/55 R15 88V????

Sid; that's exactly what I said to him and he disagreed with me!! - What's a girl supposed to do!!! :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Low Profile Tyres

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 pm

They are just lying barstewards.

I have a Mitsubishi Montero which came with Bridgestone tyres. I wanted some replacements and the tyre place said you can't get them in Spain!

What he meant was that his company was tied to Michelin and he didn't want to supply them!

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Izzie, your tyre size is a perfectly normal one and you should have no problem sorting it out. I'd be giving the guy who says he'll "have some specially made" a wide berth though :? ...........that doesn't bode well.

Good luck with it and I know it won't be a problem for you.

Kenny

Izzie D
Andalucia.com Amigo

Low Profile Tyres

Postby Izzie D » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 am

Cheers Guys!!! :lol:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Izzie D wrote:Cheers Guys!!! :lol:
On trip from the UK to Marbella I blew a tyre on my Alpina just south of Jaen, it took less then an hour to replace it, fair price too, I think someone's taking the pi55 out of you.
Ah! the full english!!

Izzie D
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Izzie D » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks retro P.

It turns out that the bloke I sent down with the car got the whole thing wrong!!!! Went to the garage myself yesterday and sorted it!!! I should have known better than to send a man to do my job!!! he he he he!!!! - that's not a dig at all men, just the ones I associate with!!!! :lol:

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 am

What is the best make/brand of tyre - is there a real difference? What about firestone, are they rated as good tyres?
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:33 am

Babby, It's hard to say what is the "best" tyre as the properties of various manufacturers products vary to suit various aplications.

I.E. Some tyres are better in the wet than others, some are softer giving more grip but wear out quicker, some just last for 40,000 miles.
I reckon your average big named manufacturer tries to produce a tyre that does a bit of everything above and on an ordinary car I don't believe there is much to choose between any of them.
If I had to choose a tyre as best, all as I'd say is that I try to use Avon if they're available for that particular vehicle.

Firerstone are a decent everyday tyre, as are most of the others.
DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 pm

How much would you expect to pay for a tire for a merc v-class? Just had a quote for 360€ for 2....thought it was a bit steep :shock:

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 am

I had a few problems trying to replace the tryes on my car, visited a few garages and was told certain brands weren't available and given daft prices on the ones I wanted, got pretty annoying, especially when I was used to getting great deals back in the UK.

Anyway I found this web-site who deliver the tyres to your door and I then got a garage to fit them altho Nor Auto refused as I didn't buy them from them. :roll:

http://www.neumaticos-online.es/start.html

If your Spanish isn't great then open up the English version via this link http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ and copy the details over to the Spanish site as it's exactly the same layout.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi,
I've used both companies, the English based one could handle the deliver to the door no problem (in England), (just about to order some more), the "Spanish" site sent the tyres ok but the courier company lost the plot at Jaen twice and sent them back to Germany :( The third time we managed to Track the shipment and when it arrived in Jaen arranged for the courier to meet us 6 km away from our village ( don't deliver to your address) so after 5 weeks managed to collect the order :D

Great prices and good choice of tyres.
J

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Izzie D wrote:Thanks Gerry, Kenny and Sid;

Gerry; I am in La Puebla de Cazalla - East of Seville, only been here a week and forgot to change my profile!!

Kenny; it's a Subaru and i think the tyre size is 205/55 R15 88V????

Sid; that's exactly what I said to him and he disagreed with me!! - What's a girl supposed to do!!! :wink:

i´ve got 4 195/50/15s sat in my yard that are off my 1969 beetle. the size you are after is NOT rare, they ARE avaliable here, and will be avaliable if ordered.

the 205/55/15s pirrelli p6000s that the omega needs are 104€ ea.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.