ITV uk car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
holmes
Tourist

ITV uk car

Postby holmes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Advice please, need to ITV a UK reg car. I know it happens, just need to know what paperwork etc I will need.
Many thanks in advance.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi,
geegee posted some info awhile back

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

J

holmes
Tourist

ITV uk car

Postby holmes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Many many thanks.

Holmes

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Bear in mind that this relates to an ITV on a UK registered vehicle as part of the importation procedure not a routine test to keep the vehicle legal.

There are now very few testing centres that will carry out a routine ITV on a UK registered vehicle and even if they do it has no legal legitimacy. It does not make the vehicle road legal in Spain for which it needs a current MoT from its country of origin and does not serve to validate insurance policies which insist that a vehicle has a current MoT.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Beachcomber wrote: and does not serve to validate insurance policies which insist that a vehicle has a current MoT.
That isn't necessarily true.

My Spanish policy with Linea Directa makes no mention of this requirement and when I checked with them they confirmed that whilst I would be breaking the law by not having a valid ITV, that it would not affect any claim under the policy. Their only comment was that my legal defence insurance would not apply if I was taken to court for not having an ITV.

If you have an accident in a seriously unroadworthy vehicle then the insurance company may be able to wriggle out of claim but a valid ITV only proves that the vehicle was roadworthy at the time of the test - the brake fluid could run out ten minutes later!

Sid

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Holmes,
Maybe I read more into your post, I presume you are getting your UK registered car over onto Spanish plates. There is no point in getting an ITV and keeping it on UK plates.
A vehicle must be legal in the country of registration, to be used for upto 6 months in another EU country.
J

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Jennifer, I may have been the one who misinterpreted it.

Sid, yes I know. I meant policies which specifically state that that the vehicle must be road legal and have a current ITV for it to be valid. I once had a Mapfre policy which stated this.

holmes
Tourist

ITV uk car

Postby holmes » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 pm

Thank you one and all, it is actually info for a neighbour, so I have passed it all on, really pleased my vehicles are Spanish.

Holmes

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am

Hi Jennifer
I was about to write exactly the same thing, there are quite a few expats near were I live getting an ITV done but the cars are still on UK plates, hence are not legal. As you so rightly said the car has to be legal in the country it is registered in.

Don

Postby Don » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 am

pwwm wrote:Hi Jennifer
I was about to write exactly the same thing, there are quite a few expats near were I live getting an ITV done but the cars are still on UK plates, hence are not legal. As you so rightly said the car has to be legal in the country it is registered in.
pwwm, when I had a UK plated car but was not an ordinary resident in Spain, I was offered car insurance for the car, clearly without UK or Spanish road tax but the insurance policy required an ITV as a check on roadworthiness. Clearly the car is not road legal in its country of origin without road tax but at the time it seemed like one option to keep a car at least insured, although I did not pursue that option. Times have changed though and many stories abound of an overall higher level of enforcement so those continuing to keep UK cars on ITV alone increasingly run the risk of being caught. IMO

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 am

There has, at last, been an increase in Trafico taking proper action on foreign-registered cars. Maybe they have been running courses for the men in green?
Next target - all the dodgy white van men, who can never legalise their vehicles!! :twisted:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.