Vehicle Re-Registration

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Vehicle Re-Registration

Postby axarquian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am

Hello

I live and work in the U.K. and also have a home in Andalucia which I visit frequently but am not in Spain for more than 182 days each year. Unfortunately my U.K. plated car has now been in Spain continuouly for almost 6 months and I have to decide whether to return it to the U.K. or re-register it in Spain.
I believe that if I apply for 'residency' immediately before re-registration then I can avoid paying a registration (import) tax of 1119 Euros, however, I am not sure of the implication of residency. I have read articles that speak of a residence permit issued by the local Town Hall (Nota De Empadronamiento) and residence permits issued by the police but none of them explain the difference. Can anyone here tell me ? As my affairs are all in the U.K. I do not wish to be taxed on my worldwide assets etc. in Spain, is there any way of me avoiding the registration tax.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vehicle Re-Registration

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:57 pm

You should by law apply for the new residency certificate after 90 days of being in Spain and having one does not indicate that you are tax resident - as you quite rightly say, for tax residency you need to be in Spain for more than 182 days (and that is in one calendar year). The residency certificate is issued by the National Police and is not the same as the certificate which you can get from the town hall which is a certificate to confirm that you are registered on the Padron (which is essentially a local census.)

You should be able to get the certificate and then get your car re-registered without paying the registration tax. The process for doing that is quite well covered on this site http://tinyurl.com/5dwx6c

Sid