UK Driving Licence - No need to exchange

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
cannylass
Tourist

Re: UK Driving Licence - No need to exchange

Postby cannylass » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you once again Beachcomber.

One more query...How long before I get the licence?? Do they post it out or do you have to pick it up??

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

They will usually issue a paper licence there and then but if you want a photocard one they will send it to you by post and it will probably take a couple of weeks.
Let's go Brandon!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Acen wrote:
blondie wrote:It is very easy to get the medical done over here, costs between 30-60 euros depending who does it, just take a photo with you and its over in 10 mins, easier than changing your license I would have thought.
Can you explain what you have to do during the medical??? do you have to see a doctor???

Thanks

acen

in malaga by the old trafico theres 3 or 4 places offering the driving licence medical for 20-30 euros.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 pm

There are some by the new Tráfico as well.

The requirements vary from virtually nothing (if you can get to the centre under your own steam you pass) to any combination of the following:

Blood pressure check
Pulse check
Eyesight test (shortsightedness, tunnel vision, lateral vision etc)
Hearing test
Computer simulator speed perception test
Computer simulator hand to hand co-ordination test
Computer simulator speed of reaction test
Grip test (testing the strength in your hands)

There may be others. These are the tests that I have had to do at one time or another although not all in the same examination and they are carried out by a medical assistant, or maybe by a doctor but not necessarily.
Let's go Brandon!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:21 pm

sounds like the test for health and saftey at work, which i already have passed ?

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 am

I am in the process of changing UK to Spanish licence and produced all the documents and did the medical , they returned my NIE number saying it was "out of date " I now have to go to the Policia National to have it renewed, I thought they were issued for life, mine is twenty years old. Is this something new or do they have a life ??

curatokid
Resident

I am in the process of changing UK to Spanish licence and produced all the documents and did the medical , they returned my NIE number saying it was "out of date " I now have to go to the Policia National to have it renewed, I thought they were issued for life, mine is twenty years old. Is this something new or do they have a life ??

curatokid
Resident

curatokid
Resident

curatokid
Resident

curatokid
Resident

Last edited by curatokid on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:12 am

The NIE number stays with you for life but it may be that because your A4 NIE sheet is printed in a different format to that of today some xenophobic jobsworth is trying to make life difficult for you.
Let's go Brandon!

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

I went to the Police station in Malaga today, waited about 30 mins, not bad, and they gave me some more forms to complete and I have to go to the bank to pay 10 euros and then back to police with passport photocopy , receipt and form duly completed, will go next week and let you know what happens.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 pm

thats 10 euros now as well ? it was only 6.40€ when i did it a few months ago for work !

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Re the medical test, I dont know where you guys have been getting yours done, but all they tested me on was eyesight, took about 3 minutes, filled in a form and got the certificate!