UK Driving Licence - No need to exchange

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Acen
Resident

UK Driving Licence - No need to exchange

Postby Acen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 am

I was in trafico in La Linea week ago and the man behind the counter informed me that the law had recently changed and expats with a UK licence (or european) are no longer required to exchange their licence for a spanish one.

However the Guardia gave my wife a hard time yesterday, stating the usual 6 months requirements.

Can any confirm which is correct????

Thanks

A

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Driving Licence - No need to exchange

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 am

It has not been obligatory to exchange for quite some time.

As you have found out, it is not as simple as that as far as Guardia officers are concerned because there are additional requirements regarding the need for resident UK licence holders to conform with Spanish medical requirements.

This has been covered in some detail in previous threads but the general opinion is that the easiest, least hassle, option is to exchange your licence, which you do still have a legal right to do (even though some Trafico offices may discourage you, as you have found.)

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 am

Here is the celebrated fax confirming the fact that there is no longer an obligation to exchange one's driving licence for a Spanish one. As you can see it is dated 2004!

The problem is that most people either do not, or unable to, read paragraph 3 which clearly sets out the medical requirements that Sid refers to.

I'm not sure that waving a copy of a fax under the nose of a belligerent Guardia Civil is going to change anything and, as Sid says, the easiest way out is just to exchange your licence anyway.

The fact that DGT seems to be under the impression that the UK is a republic is a little worrying. :shock:
Let's go Brandon!

Jagman
Tourist

Postby Jagman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:05 pm

A point I have never seen mentioned on this topic is that DVLA will only renew or change of address to one in UK, so if you are resident and have a vehicle registered in Spain, you must have a driving licence also registered to the same address, just as it is in UK. G.S. can fine you if the vehicle docs. and licence don't match, again same as UK. changed mine and my wife's in Cordoba Trafico office, took 10 mins. no medical forms asked for, was given temp. paper licence, lasts for 3 months, new ones arrived by post in under 3 weeks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:54 pm

If you check your new Spanish licence you will see that it does not have your address on it.

While I would always agree that exchanging your licence is the right way to go - the address is not an issue - the medical rules may well be if you don't exchange.

A medical check is not required for exchange, as you found, as they assume (wrongly) that the UK issuing authority would have required a medical to give you the licence that you are exchanging. You will have to have a medical when your Spanish licence comes up for renewal.

Sid

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am

A medical check is not required for exchange
Unless you would be over 70 by the time your spanish licence expires.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 pm

It is very easy to get the medical done over here, costs between 30-60 euros depending who does it, just take a photo with you and its over in 10 mins, easier than changing your license I would have thought.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:38 pm

But changing your licence really is not difficult either, and I agree with Sid that it's the best option to avoid any future confusion if pulled over.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:01 am

well the whole exchanging thing is pretty much ridiculous. i mean what's the point in exchanging a driving licence since you got your from a country that's a member of the european union. Yes-points. but they can still fine you to hell if you do something wrong. I'm not exchanging mine especially after i found out that i might be moving to sweden for a while next year. basically don't do anything stupid and if they pull you over-play dumb.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am

blondie wrote:It is very easy to get the medical done over here, costs between 30-60 euros depending who does it, just take a photo with you and its over in 10 mins, easier than changing your license I would have thought.
Can you explain what you have to do during the medical??? do you have to see a doctor???

Thanks

acen

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 pm

It varies drastically from place to place (as always) I remember one of Sid's posts that said something to the effect of 'If you are capable of dragging yourself to the medical centre you will pass the exam.' :D

Some of the things they may test are as follows:

Eyesight (you would need to be as blind as a bat to fail)

Blood pressure (They just tell you if it's high but you will still pass)

Co-ordination (A simple computer test where you have to keep two dots within the confines of a wide wriggly road, one with each hand.)

Speed perception (another simple computer test where a dot moves along the screen, disappears, then you have to press a button just before you think it is going to hit a wall. Then the same thing again but a bit faster.)

A grip test (a bit like a fairground game where you have to squeeze two pieces of metal together and a dial shows your strength.

There may be other things but these are the ones that I have had to do in the past but not in the same test.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let's go Brandon!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:28 pm

smash wrote:... I'm not exchanging mine especially after i found out that i might be moving to sweden for a while next year....
That's OK until it expires then you will have to apply for a new one in the country in which you are resident.
El Cid wrote:If you check your new Spanish licence you will see that it does not have your address on it....
No it doesn't need to because when they check the licence with DGT records on the computer in their vehicle they will see the address and if it doesn't correspond to the address in which the vehicle is registered, if it is yours, there could be some questions to answer.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 pm

I believe there are some other tests that Beachcomber didn't include in his list:

There's one where you have to hold a mobile 'phone in one hand while turning a steering wheel with the other, and change gear with a third;

Another reaction test involves watching a moving car on a screen, and when it comes to a stop, hitting a button in the middle of a wheel as quickly as possible;

Anyone else got any good ones?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 pm

would i need to go to malaga to change mine? i´ve got an english one, and it runs out this year, around october time.

blimey.. 10 years already :shock:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Yes, you need to go to the DGT office in Málaga.

Another one for your list, Miro. A set of virtual traffic lights that, when they turn from green to amber speed up to try to beat the red light.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm

What do you mean by "beat the red light"? I thought you just had to demonstrate that you have the nerve to casually ignore it all together?

SL - I thought UK licences were valid until aged 70 without having to renew? Has that changed?
Good idea (IMHO) to change it anyway, though.

Tráfico is easy to spot - look for the tall tower near the féria ground. You can usually park nearby without difficulty. Take a good book and a flask of coffee :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:59 pm

UK photocard driving licences are only valid for ten years. See previous my previous post in another thread and this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xpire.html
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Didn't know - but makes sense, since a photo more than 10 years old would be a bit pointless I suppose. Also another good way for the govt. to tax by stealth! As for fining motorists who haven't renewed, that seems just immoral, since the cost of sending out a polite reminder would be less than the administration involved for issuing fines. Typical though. :twisted:
Another thing - why all this BS about ID cards? I'm not against them per sé, and in fact rue the loss of my Spanish tarjeta. But why not instead make changing your driving licence for a photo card compulsory within a certain time frame, and then, as in the US, offer a "non-driver" licence for the relatively few citizens over 17 who don't drive? This could also become compulsory within a given time frame. There would be no need for another agency or another piece of ID, which would surely be a lot more cost effective? Just my take on it.....

cannylass
Tourist

Postby cannylass » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:52 am

Can the form for exchanging your licence be download? (A link please, if yes).
I would prefer to have mine filled out ready in advance if possible.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am

Let's go Brandon!