Changing the ownership of a scooter

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
clarkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Changing the ownership of a scooter

Postby clarkie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi, I have just sold my scooter to my friend but now need to sort out the change of ownership.
I live in Mijas Costa but i understand i have to go to Trafico in Malaga, is that correct and can someone tell me where Trafico is now?
Also please can someone tell me what i need to take and if its worth doing myself as i dont really want to pay a Gestor......
Thanks for your help :D
What a life!!!!!

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Changing the ownership of a scooter

Postby El Cercardo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Can't help with where to go as I am nowhere near you, but having just bought a car out in Spain, I have been told that the following paperwork is required:

- A photocopy of sellers NIE
- A photocopy showing seller has paid the Annual Tax for 2008 to the Town hall, its called in Spanish "Impuesto De Vehiculos De Traccion Mecanica"
- The original "Ficha Tecnica"
- The original "Permiso de Circulacion"
- A photocopy "compulsado" (that means the Town Hall have to photocopy it & stamp it to say it is an original copy) of the buyers NIE

Hope this helps (but it could be different for bikes I suppose!!)

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi thats great info, but is n't there a tax on all vehicles that has to be paid to the Government on transfer??? This is not the tax that goes to the Town hall nor matriculation, but has to be paid to the Hacienda directly.

Also as in Spain debts stay with the property (houses, cars & bike) surely a check needs to be done to confirm that no money, finance, fines ect is on the scooter.

As you will be taking on the debt. I think possible Trafico could tell you this, but Id love to know exactly how its done as it cant be too difficult to do.

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I presume the gestor will sort the "other" tax and debt side of things out...I haven't gone through the process yet but will be flying out tomorrow to sort it all out...will update the thread when we get back if the answer hasn't been forthcoming in the meantime :D

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:18 am

Hi I know its a bit late but here goes. In fuengirola opp the bullring on the corner is an insurance co called AXA they do the transfer for you. Just take paperwork.

clarkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby clarkie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks, i will check out AXA tomorrow as i have to go into Fuengirola :)
What a life!!!!!

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 pm

For selling a motorbike, what do i need re paperwork?Is it upto the buyer to get all paperwork changed and what type of receipt do I need on selling to prove I no longer own it in case the buyer decided to drive about without changing the name and get fines etc that could be in my name?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 am

No, I wouldn't leave it up to the buyer. It's in your interest to make sure that the transfer goes through.
I've always done the transfer jointly with the seller of a vehicle by going to a gestor together. It only costs about 40€ (well it did last time I did it) and IMHO is well worth it to avoid the hassle of doing it yourselves.
You should write out a receipt to give to the vendor anyway but until the transfer process is iniciated you would still be classed as the owner and therefore liable.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Well in the end, I wrote a receipt which stipulated the buyed would take charge of all transfers as of the date of sale, hopefully that will be ok!

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Don't think I would trust the new owner to do this, and don't think the receipt would be acceptable in law. When I have sold a scooter, I have met the new owner at Axa in Fuengirola where the paperwork is dealt with, new owner pays the transfer cost, he then pays me the price of the vehicle and I give him the keys. If the vehicle is not registered with traffico in the new owners name, you will be liable.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 am

Wel I will have to hope that the receipt I have is ok. I copied it from a receipt that was already in the bike from the last guy that bought the bike.