CAR INSURANCE

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

CAR INSURANCE

Postby alba » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am

I am about to take up my first car insurance and me and the OH are debating whether it is worth going fully comp or just Third Party F & T. The amount of minor car damage I see when walking around, bashes to wings, bumpers etc I wonder whether fully comp is worth It. Any views welcome from those with previous experience.
Alba

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: CAR INSURANCE

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 am

It largely depends on what the car is worth.
If the car only costs €2000 then probably not worth it
If the car costs €20000 then definitely worth fully comp.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:56 am

It also depends on the difference in the cost between fully comprehensive and third party. The difference is often not as much as you think it might be.
Let's go Brandon!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Also be sure about whether you are being offered third party, or third party, fire and theft. Car theft here is not in the same league as the UK, but I wouldn't like to just write off the value of my car if it got stolen or burnt out!
As a significant minority of Spanish are driving around uninsured, as well as being amongst the most incompetent drivers in the world, I reckon comprehensive cover is one way to protect your substantial investment in your transport. Additionally, as there seems to be no no-claims bonus system, if the worst happens, you may as well bang in a claim.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:16 pm

which insurers are you all using, that offer fire and theft with the third party, or indeed fully comp?
we are with linea direct and will only insure our 2004 nissan terrano third party! They said any car over 12 months old are only insured third party with them! :shock:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 pm

They are telling you porkies. We're with them and the car is 2004 fully comp. In fact our friends with an 11 year old car are fully comp as well
AlisonB

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 pm

We are with Linea Directa, I got a quote from Mapfre, it was much cheaper, I rang LD back and they said the Mapfre quote was 3rd party and my new policy with LD was fully Comp. LD did put down the renewal cost though.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:37 pm

I think Linea direct are very expensive, taking advantage of the language barrier.
After shopping around,Liberty Seguros, from an English speaking agent in Coin, was cheapest 3rd party for me.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 pm

6 years ago Linea direct told me they only did fully comp. Paid 500 euros for a 13 year old banger.

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 am

Linea Directa do all sorts of cover...have just done an online quote with them. They have Third party only, 3rd party F & T and fully comp...Not much difference in price between the 3 of them (about 80 euros from low to high).

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Well their (LD) website will not let me get a price at all for AllRisks, and their premium for TPF&T is over 200€ more than my current cost for Full Comp with Reale! The only reason I want to change is that the broker (in Torrevieja) is totally incompetent and has the worst customer service I have ever found - even to the extent that one of the staff blatantly lied about having passed on some information to me, and another claimed to have done something three times yet only did it on the fourth request!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Peter, don't waste your time on their website - just call them.

I recently got my renewal premium halved with one phone call.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Ditto - well almost. Got about 50% reduction by telling them the best renewal quote I had from another company, which they promptly matched (actually just undercut)Currently paying €475 for fully comp on a 2003 2.0 diesel. Excess of €250, which interestingly is exactly how much it cost me to repair the car park damage I found after leaving my car for 20 minutes in the SS clinic car park. :?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Why isn't there a "confuso.com" here? Spain is stuck in the third world category as far as I am concerned until it drags its communications and merchanting at least into the latter part of the twentieth century...
I will ring them Sid - I was put off by the last time I tried a couple of years ago getting an American, who cheerfully told me he knew nothing about cars and didn't drive...just what you want as a claims advisor! :D

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:31 am

karandjon wrote:which insurers are you all using, that offer fire and theft with the third party, or indeed fully comp?
we are with linea direct and will only insure our 2004 nissan terrano third party! They said any car over 12 months old are only insured third party with them! :shock:

We have a 1998 Seat Alhambra, matriculated onto Spanish plates in 2007, insured fully comp with Linea Directa.

shayne
Tourist

Postby shayne » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Have had my annual car insurance renewal from Linea Directa and they quoted me €448 for 3rd Party for my 2003 Renault Clio,which I thought was a bit rich as it had gone up 60 odd euros!
So got a few quotes from other places and Liberty Seguros came out cheaper at €399 3rd Party,or €499 fully Comp.So rang Linea Directa and they rang me back an hour later with a revised quote of €399 fully Comp !!!!
So I am well chuffed ! And thanks to all the people on here who suggested phoning their insurers to haggle!!!It certainly does pay to have a go!!
:D :D

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Recently insured the scooter, they didn't ask for ITV, I'm guessing you don't need one :mrgreen:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm

first year on my insurance, 3rd party fire and glass ... was 720 euros !

now its down to about 230€ cos i got full no claims :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:15 pm

In UK there is a large insurer called ADMIRAL who also own price comparison web site CONFUSED.COM

Admiral started a Motor Insurer in Seville and it is up and running called BALUMBA. They are also planning to start a price comparison web site for Spain which will be called RASTREATOR based in Madrid but could be interesting for additional price comparison in the future.

I think that there is an existing price comparison website called ARPEM.COM - has anybody used them ? They apparently use the following insurers for quotes:
Mapfre, Allianz, Linea Directa Aseguradora, Génesis Auto, Mutua Madrileña, Vitalicio, Direct Seguros, Groupama, Pelayo, Fiatc, La Estrella, ClickSeguros, Caser, Lagun Aro, Regal Auto, Mussap, Fenix Directo, Ineas, Mutua Levante, MMT Seguros.......