ITV problems

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

ITV problems

Postby Jool » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Situation: ITV failed car, gave 15 days to get the one fault fixed, car went to garage next day, garage said there is no fault or problem, its water damage looking like a crack and asks for ITV phone number. Garage phones ITV and tells them there is nothing wrong with the car. ITV says no way Jose, we don´t take cars apart just do surface check, its failed, replace the part - cost for part 210 euros without labour, to fix something garage says does not need fixing.....ITV will not re-consider or change their mind. Garage not a friend or relative of vehicle owner so not in their interest to refuse work....

Is there any recourse against ITV for forcing car owner to spend money unnecessarily? Complaints Book?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV problems

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Try a different ITV station.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:28 pm

What was it that was supposed to be cracked?
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Brake discs

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi,
MOH says take wheels off and have a look. Brake disks should be shinny on the pad contact area, if they have a distinct lip on the outer edge and cracks on the surface they should be changed ASAP.
Normally they wear over time and are service item.
J

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I had a problem with brake discs. First one then, next time, the other. My mechanic 'skimmed' them both times at a fraction of the cost of replacements and the car passed the retest both times with no problem.

ITV stations are failing vehicles for the slightest reason in an effort to make people buy new vehicles to stimulate the economy. Mine failed last time because they said they said the tracking was out. In fact the steering wheel wasn't on straight so I took it off and put it back on a few notches further round. It then passed but it had been like that for at least seven years.

You should complete a complaint sheet then contact the Defensor del Pueblo.
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Jennifer and Beach,

Garage took wheels off and said there are marks on the disc from dirty water getting on it that look like cracks from outside (ie with wheel still on) but they are not actual not fissures "partidos" etc, however surface is not shiny and smooth.......
ITV stations are failing vehicles for the slightest reason in an effort to make people buy new vehicles to stimulate the economy
Is this really true - if so what dirty tricks, where are those with older cars supposed to get the money from? Its nigh on impossible to trade in an older car for a new one in Spain anyway...... :x

I´ve lost confidence in the Defensor del Pueblo, he did not even respond to my complaint that the local TGSS office did not have a complaints book on site, just chose to ignore it........he also said that as I was contacted at the address on the computer they had done their duty. However part of my complaint was that the address they wrote to was one they invented, did not exist and had never been given to them by me as it did not ever exist, thus their letters had never arrived to me!!

So I gave up in frustration. I had ensured my complaint was checked by a spanish person and a bi-lingual translator to check I had not made any errors in explanation before sending it..... :evil: It seems he really defends officialdom and not the individual.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Beach,
Getting on to the "gray" here , disks have a minimum thickness and should be replaced on that limit.
Most are ventilated these days, so going below the minimum is a no go.
If the vehicle has been standing around the the pads can leave marks on the disks, so driving around will soon clear these off.
Always play safe with brakes..better to pay 150e on new disks and pads than end up in a black bag :cry:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm

if its "water marks" can you not take the wheels off and give them a quick scrub with a brush or green sponge then go for a drive to dry them off?

do that the day before the itv?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:03 pm

I would think that a bit of wet and dry sandpaper would get rid of a water mark

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Jennifer, it's a 22 year old Suzuki Santana used for logging, taking out the rubbish and taking the dogs to the vet. The discs still look pretty thick to me and I don't think my Spanish mechanic would have done it if he thought it was dangerous.

Something on brake skimming here:

http://pumabuild.co.uk/skimming.htm

and here:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=191683
Let's go Brandon!

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:59 pm

HI Beach,
Love the links...Dr Dave is a character 67,384 posts..its a wonder he has time for any work :shock:
Most disks have 1.5 - 2.5 mm thickness difference between new and minimum, so not a lot to mess about with.
Like Julian and Spanish have said clean up the "marks " on the disks and take the car for a drive round the mountains and then out on the open road to blow the cobwebs off before going to the ITV station.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 am

julian wrote:I would think that a bit of wet and dry sandpaper would get rid of a water mark

i neglected to type sandpaper on brakes due to fear of getting flamed.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.