cars with english reg.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

cars with english reg.

Postby smash » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Ok guys heres what is going on-as a guy that has spent 3 years in a small eastern european country(and even learned the language as strange as it may sound) i know quite some people from that region. Oh the country is called bulgaria. So its about this friend ive got over here(bulgarian)-he is getting a car and he is most likely going to get a car with english registration and right steering wheel due to the fact that this is gonna find a better car to fit his budget. Now im not completely sure how the transfer works in that case(without changing the plates) but i know there are some ways and that is quite cheap as well. the thing that he wonders is what happens with the ITV of the car. he said that going to gibraltar doesnt bother him to get those things worked out over there but going all the way to the uk is a bit out of order. so any suggestions? thanks!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: cars with english reg.

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 pm

This might sound a bit blunt but if he is going to live in Spain then advise him to buy a Spanish plated car.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm

A Gib itv(mot) is not the same as a UK mot

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:10 pm

gerryh wrote:This might sound a bit blunt but if he is going to live in Spain then advise him to buy a Spanish plated car.
Cheers
Gerry
sure thats what i thought. thats why i changed my plates on my vauxhall omega when i got back to spain. now the cheapest insurance is 2 times more expensive than the one i had to pay in the uk. and as i said-the reason why he wants one is so he can get a newer and better car for the same budget. and if he is going to change the plates-well-we all know that costs a lot(i paid about 800 euros in total)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:31 am

This has been discussed many times before.

An UK plated car will need to go back to the UK once a year for a MOT.
It will need taxing in the UK.
It will need UK insurance
It costs money to get a UK plated car onto Spanish plates.

Still think it's easier to buy a Spanish plated car.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:02 am

If your friend can't afford to buy and run a car in Spain, then maybe he should take the bus :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Julie wrote:If your friend can't afford to buy and run a car in Spain, then maybe he should take the bus :lol:
heres the deal-its not about the money. ok theres a slight difference between a 95 3 series bmw and a 2000-2001 3 series bmw. i know his driving skills(well a guy that has been driving since the age of 12) and i believe the right steering wheel is not gonna bother him at all. its a situation where you could get something better for the same price. plus the insurances for uk cars are quite cheaper.... im pretty sure there is a way(other than going ot the uk once a year)

dont get me wrong-im just trying to help the kid.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:36 am

Hi smash,
Some facts about UK reg cars and taking abroad.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022582

Its a tourist/holiday thing, you can take your car abroad and use it in EU for up to 6 months in one year, most UK insurance cover for travelling abroad is for 90 -180 days.
You will need UK address for all your UK car docs.

As Gerry has said its going to be easier/wiser to buy a Spanish plated car . 8)
If your friend "the kid" is under 25 years old he will be paying a hefty price for insurance anyway, probably find it easier to insure a canvas topped submarine than a 3 series BMW. :)

Do a search on A.com for " Spanish plates" and you will find loads of info as this subject is covered almost on a weekly basis :roll:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:24 pm

yes.. he could insure a uk plated bmw ..

but. he´d need a uk address - and any fines / infractions wouls go to that address.

itwould be much easier to get a spanish plated car and insure it legally on his address here.

we have a uk plated jeep, thats was insured here on an address in the uk. for 6 months then it was taken off the road.

being bulgarian he has no legal way of doing it, (that i know of).
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

jimmy7
Tourist

Postby jimmy7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 am

At present I have a long term car hire which is prooving expensive. Is there a Spanish website for second hand cars similar to the UK's Auto-trader.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm

" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"