exchanging plates! shiiiiiiii*

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

exchanging plates! shiiiiiiii*

Postby smash » Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm

My mom always says i like to complicate my life. And i have the strange feeling that she is right. Love was never any good in my life and especially love at first sight. And even though i promised myself that this is never gonna happen again whatever the situation it happened today. So what happened-well lets start with the childhood-since i spend almost a decade in random countries in eastern europe i guess i was affected by the locals somehow and so ive always been in love with bmw's. and ive been looking for one for quite a while now. and i found one-1994 320i m3 150 horse power bmw. and the price is absolutely ridiculous. i cant think of a word that can describe how cheap it is. its almost a joke. on the other hand there are quite a few things that need to be fixed but nothing i cant handle.

problem:
car is registered in the netherlands. or should i say-was. it has been de-registered some time ago and never registered again. the guy who is selling it showed me all the papers and even though its not officially his property the real owner gave it to him a few years ago but he said he knows where to find him. so transferring the car is not gonna be THAT much of a deal. im just curious how much it might cost(transferring+registering the car-spanish plates sadly) cause knowing that the car needs quite some work then the price might be actually high.

soooooo........ HALP!!!!!

scotty
Resident

Re: exchanging plates! shiiiiiiii*

Postby scotty » Tue May 12, 2009 10:28 am

I assume its an E36 model M3 rather than an E30 ? All M3's have been "driven" and cars of that age will not have been well maintained. Has it had inspection 1 or 2 done recently ? Is there a Vanos on that model ? Secondly if its not his property then you are on very sticky ground buying it. If he has no title then run as fast as your little legs will carry you. If it looks too good to be true then it is.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

An M3 with 150hp - you have to be joking!

It sounds more like a standard 320i with a M badge!

Sid

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Wed May 13, 2009 10:45 pm

well yeah... i did realize that i might have some problems with transferring the vehicle but i looooooooove it! dunno what im gonna do.

as for the m series-yep i did realize that 150 horse power engine is not exactly common but i drove it around and i looked at it carefully if its a regular 320i than its modified way too much-engine, gearbox, suspension-everything. and no-its not e30. its e34. plus ive driven quite a few and theres a considerable difference. if theres any way to transfer it than im gonna have to fix a lot of things on it-paint, interior, cd player, immobilizer, might have to change the exhaust system considering the sound but.... man i love that car!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

If its got a 150hp engine it is NOT an M3 - they have about double that. Perhaps it's only firing on 3 cylinders :lol:

If it's modified as much as you say, you haven't got a cat in hells chance of getting it through the ITV.

To me it sounds like just the sort of car to avoid like the plague (or should that be Swine Flu).Walk away from it quickly.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 am

:mrgreen: Sid.

The standard 320 of that year was 150 but will probably feel an awful lot less now through time.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2009 9:00 am

Yes I know it was. I was talking about the M3 which, if you re-read the original post, this car purports to be.

The M3 of that era was the E36 base car not the E34 and produced 282hp - somewhat more than a standard 320i and incidentally the M3 had a 3 litre engine.

I cannot imagine how anyone could confuse the two models.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 am

Sid, I understood what you were saying about the old M3/320 "reputed" power outputs.

Having a trawl through a site before there are quite a few of what look like well cared for elderly 320 convertibles for sale in the UK at very little money, although the way prices are here at the mo a couple of thousand more and you're in an SLK or Z3 albeit 2 seaters.
DA

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 am

You're right DA - there has never been a better time to buy a used car - especially something a bit tasty!

Trouble is, even if you've got the money, most people are hanging on to it which is driving the prices even lower.

Now, if I was looking for an old Beemer I'd go for a 635CSI - I had one in the late 80's and it was brilliant.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 am

Was that the big sharky nosed thing with an ali body, I maybe wrong there?? :? Nice looker at the time though.

If so a bloke I used to work with had one and we used to have a good dice to and from work on occasions........I had a 240z Samurai at the time..........remember them?

DA

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 am

Theres a nice E30 325i convertible in LHD for sale for £1,000 sterling in the UK. See www.e30zone.net

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Was that the big sharky nosed thing with an ali body
Yes, that's the one although, the alloy body panels were only on the lightweight 635CSL. There was also an M635 version with around 285hp - about the same as today's 3 litre diesel!

Sid

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 pm

hahahaa double that? hahaha man think about it-if m series were the double than there is no need for the existence of alpine. they have those characteristics. i meab the new b3 series are like what-a bit more than 300 horse power(306 as far as i remember)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 am

There doesn't seem much point in the current Alpina B3 as it is a smaller less powerful engine than the M3.

The B3 has 360hp from a 3 litre engine and the standard M3 has 414 from a 4 litre V8.

Not that it is relevant to the car you want to buy which seems like a tarted up boring 320i.

As I said before, if it has been modified from the original spec then it will almost certainly fail the special ITV test it will need before you can register it in Spain.

Think very carefully before you go ahead with the purchase as you are likely to end up with a car you cannot use on the road in Spain.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 am

Don't know much about beemers to be honest but bhp figures often don't tell the full story.

DA

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am

That's true, particularly with the latest crop of diesel engines.

Although they cannot match the petrol engines for sheer horsepower, the torque output is amazing and it is this that often makes them better to drive.

Back to BMWs as an example, the 5 litre V10 M5 is the most powerful car they produce but the 3 litre diesel produces more torque!

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 am

Thing is with the bhp figures Sid is that for marketing purposes only the peak figure is given @ a certain RPM without any other details and is often meaningless, usually the RPM for this figure will be close/on the limiter and seldom achievable on the road, as you say the torque curve is the important line to follow.

A car producing 350bhp @7500 may be half that or less at 5500/6000.

For a race car or bike where changes on the limiter are expected then that's fine.

I would guess torque is where the B3 you mention scores with its bi-turbo set up.

Yep, bhp is only a small factor when comparing one car to another, so many other parameters come into play. The old addage of a biggun will beat a little-un is not the case any more IMHO.

DA

PS,Smash, Sorry to hijack your thread but I can't resist a good petrolhead debate. :D