Bike Insurance.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Bike Insurance.

Postby mhic » Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 am

I've bought a UK registered bike it's got a years mot and 6 months road tax, would it be legal for me to insure it with a UK company for 6 months even though I have no permanent address there and ride here in Spain on the green card. I think not but it would be a lot cheaper.

Mhic.

scotty
Resident

Re: Bike Insurance.

Postby scotty » Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm an insurance broker. Its only a problem if you have a claim ! So when you hit a car / child etc etc then it all goes *beep* up. Dont do it. Insure it with a spanish company (ibex) etc and then you can sleep at night.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Scotty
You are right of course I just wanted it confirmed that it would not be legal. I have had quotes from several brokers here in Spain today and I think they have to taking the micky. No claims or convictions in 51 years on the road and the best quote I have had is 359.00e third party only!

Mhic.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 18, 2009 8:04 pm

Not sure if they do bikes but i had an excellent quote from Liberty Seguros,via a broker,when I had a UK car in Spain.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon May 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks I'll look into them.

Mhic

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Mhic,I've sent you a personal message that may be of interest to you. :D

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 pm

mhic wrote:Scotty
You are right of course I just wanted it confirmed that it would not be legal. I have had quotes from several brokers here in Spain today and I think they have to taking the micky. No claims or convictions in 51 years on the road and the best quote I have had is 359.00e third party only!

Mhic.
Have you had previous bike insurance in Spain ? If not then some of the premium will be calculated on that fact. Also remember that premiums in different markets (countries) will vary. People in Ireland always give out about bike insurance & compare it to the UK but its like apples and pears they are different things. Then the claims experoence in Spain........ 18 people killed on the roads on may bank holiday weekend ! Seven of them were bikers. Lastly ..... I'm a biker. I dont drive a car anymore in Ireland, too much traffic. I've an 1150 GS adventure bmw. Its my 3rd adventure and my 5th beemer.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Just had a quote from Ibex 475.95 (£ or € not informed) 3rd party only. Out of interest I asked old uk insurers and they quoted £95.95 3rd party fire and theft. I have to assume that Ibex is staffed by ex UK politicians.

Mhic.

Trackbikes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trackbikes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Before I came here 5 years ago I had full no claims for a bike in the uk. Now obviously that has expired. I want to do some long distance touring this year or next year so plan on buying a BMW GS1150.

I've had a full bike licence for almost 30 years..with no claims (Don't ask me how I used to ride like an idiot!)

Will I have any problems insuring that over here

Will I automatically get a gree card with a spanish company?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Try The Insurance Centre in Coin. I use them, they are probably the most helpful staff I have ever encountered in an insurance company, prob have to google the number as I don´t have it on me.

http://www.paginasamarillas.es/resultad ... enResult=S

Got it

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 pm

I've got 5 years no claims (based on my UK record and last two years Spanish insurance) and am paying €533 for my 3 years old BMW 650GS Fully Comp.

I pay £260 Fully Comp in UK for my 1 year old R1200GS.

No rhyme nor reason!!!!
Kahuna
=======

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Of course there is a rhyme, and a reason - the death and injury rate for bikers in Spain is way up on the UK, as it is for car drivers.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 pm

May bank holiday weekend in spain ....eleven bikers killed :( Mind you the jerez GP was on at the same time so that impacted on the statistics.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:40 pm

It appears that the first stage in taking up moto-riding in Spain is a frontal lobotomy...this country does not need to go to war to cull its youth, just encourage them to ride motorcycles.
I loved riding bikes, as I did horses (I bought an eventer from Harvey Smith many years ago), but IMHO both forms of transport are strictly for enjoying off public roads. :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:51 am

I use http://www.amv.es/ They only do bikes and are competetive
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!