Car Sorn equivalent in Spain and Law

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Sadie
Resident

Car Sorn equivalent in Spain and Law

Postby Sadie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi My friend has her second car garaged but its due for insurance renewal this month and she doesn't want to pay insurance for it to lay in garage, it has a small fault and she wants to get rid anyway, insurance company has said she just can't cancel the insurance they will automatically renew or she faces 3000 euro fine ( I might have that figure wrong) anyway is there an equivalent in Spain to SORN and how does she go about getting it and where etc?

Thanks

I have posted this under car section also apologise if shouldnt have in both, just need an answer quick.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Sorn equivalent in Spain and Law

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Hiya Sadie, I don't know about SORN equivilents in Spain but do know that SORN has nothing to do with insuring your car............it refers to road fund license.

I've 2 cars "SORNED" in UK for the winter but both have insurance although garaged....you never know do you?..........this is not a legal requirement though.

Don't have a clue what the insurers are on about re the 3000e fine :think: , strange one.

I have a feeling Spain is the same as the UK although stand to be corected, ie if car is off road it's up to you whether to insure it.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm not entirely sure but I think that it is a requirement to have insurance if your car is on the road and that includes in a garage.

The nearest thing to a SORN would be to deregister it with Trafico temporarily for "personal reasons".

There are details here

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/contenido ... jatemp.pdf

Sid

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 am

I was told something similar by Linea Directa. i have a car that I was going to leave off the road for several months and I told them this when the renewal came up, They told me it was a legal requirement to keep it insured whether I was using it or not. I told them I am sure there are many un-insured cars on the road, so why not have an un-insured car off the road? They told me there was a heavy fine for having an uninsured car wherever it was.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you for replies.

Laslomas this is also linea directa who has told my friend this too. What did you do in the end, did you insure again or did you get a fine?

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Sadie, I did insure the car, but it was not used for almost 9 months. In the end I told myself it was the safest thing to do, but I really think it was a complete and utter waste of money. I was just worried that what they said was right and that I could be getting into trouble, but then who would report it as uninsured, Linea Directa???

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

I think the only way you could get into trouble not insuring a car that isn´t being used and is kept off the road and in a garage is if it burst into flames and caused damage to someone´s property, or some similar dificult to imagine event.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Trafico have every registered car on their database and also every insurance policy.

Checking one against the other isn't exactly rocket science, even for Trafico.

Nice way of raising some cash I fear!

Sid

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Why dont you tell linea directa you renewed with another insurer ? I'm a broker and under EU law they cant just renew the cover without your say so. :!:

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Why on earth would somebody at the traffico office sit at the computer and check every registration number on their system to see if the vehicle has insurance?. I'm sure even they have better things to do. There's no reason why a vehicle should be checked unless it's seen on the road whereby of course it must have valid insurance which I whole heartedly support. I agree with Scotty, just tell the insurance company that you've renewed your cover through another company. I'm sure, by them threatening you with a fine, is just another way of trying to screw money out of you.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi

The Spanish law requires all vehicles to be taxed & insured; There is no such thing as "off-road" and that includes your garden. Therefore you have to be insured.

No one sits at a computer checking !!! People like me simply run a program overnight and give the information to whoever. Takes a few minutes and brings in euros!!!

Davexf

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:17 pm

We were also told this (about not being able to 'cancel' the policy) by our insurance company when we wanted to take our scooter off the road and keep it inside. Turned out that if we said 'we didn't want to renew' the policy, rather than 'cancel' it, they were satisfied.