Mt first ITV

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
janda_grant2
Resident

Mt first ITV

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 am

Well I've just got back from getting the car it's first ITV certificate and boy did I have problems - all of my own making I would add. :think: I managed to get the appointment OK - even though I could not get it done on line so had to use the phone, got there on time on the right day with the right documents. :thumbup: I even managed to get into the right line at the right time - then I discovered that so much for speaking reasonable spanish I had absolutley NO idea what things like indicators, reversing lights, brakes etc were! :think: Nor did I have the faintest idea how to open the bonnet - OH usually attends to the internal workings of a combustion engine, so I have never had the need to do so! :crazy: Hazard warning lights were an absolute mystery too - I knew how to work them but not what they were called, and the helpful description of all 4 didn't really help. Then came the bit where I had to wiggle the steering wheel when instucted to do so by the tester over a wlkie talkie - I eventually got that through the tester miming the action, and telling me it was the first of 4 tasks! :wtf: What I really want to know is why don't thee words appear in every day converstion? I had more success understanding and talking about a forensic autopsy!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well back to the books again! :?
I can spell but I can't type

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mt first ITV

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 pm

:mrgreen: Yep, can be a nightmare even though you think you can speak the lingo, reminds me of my first test...........I delagate the task now as me holidays are short enough over there without that stress :D

Love this comment though!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]Nor did I have the faintest idea how to open the bonnet - OH usually attends to the internal workings of a combustion engine, so I have never had the need to do so.[quote]

Just like my Mrs :lol: :lol: :lol: ..........It's not just the internal workings of the combustion engine that requires the bonnet opening I tell her............the washers work better with a bit of H20 in them as well, which also requires the same complicated opening procedure .......or is that the blokes job too? :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

janda_grant2
Resident

Re: My first ITV

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 pm

DA- Why keep a dog and bark yourself :? He has to have some uses! :thumbup:

When my Dad taught me to drive he insisted I could effect some running repairs if needed (we lived in the country) and when I lived in the UK I could do all the basic mainteance on my car, but here OH has taken it upon himself to be chauffeur and handy man so I never bothered to find out how to open the bonnet! (Am now off to find ther spare wheel and the jack just in case!)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:48 pm

You've got admit it's fun though, think how bored we would all be if everything went smoothly all the time.
My motto: "As long as it's not life threatening...I'll cope!!".

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 am

I took this from another site some time ago - 2006 in fact but apart from the changed booking system, opening times etc etc., this may help some people:

Getting your ITV in Spain Thursday, 09 February 2006
An ITV is the equivalent to an MOT in England and is required by Law, ITV stands for “Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehicles”. A number of checks are carried out on your vehicle to check that it is safe to drive and road worthy. Once your car is 4 years old, you will need an ITV done every two years. Once it is over 10 years old an ITV will be needed annually. For Motorcycles over 5 years old, an ITV is needed every 2 years and for a caravans over 6 years old, an ITV is needed every two years.There are more than 50 ITV Inspection Service Centers around Andalucia alone, so there must be many hundreds throughout Spain. You can just go straight there, no need for an appointment. They are normally based on a Poligono (Industrial Estate). To find an ITV point in your area. If you do not have time to do this yourself, you can take your car to a garage where they will do it for you, but you will obviously be charged extra for this service.
We took our car to ITV Inspection in Estepona which is near Marbella where we live. We handed in all our car documentation at the office in the center and paid 35.54 euros. They only accept cash. We were then given some paperwork to pass onto the ITV Mechanics who were waiting in the building next door. Then we drove our car as directed, through several different checks.
The first check was for the indicators, wipers, lights, hazards, seat belts etc. The second check was for the wheel alignment, third point was for brakes and hand brake, and the fourth point was for omissions, oil etc. We were then be told to park our car and come back to collect our paperwork. As we had passed our ITV, we were given an ITV Certificate and also an ITV sticker which must be placed in the windscreen of your car. If you do not put this sticker in your window and you are stopped by the police you may be fined between 90 and 150 euros, and will be given 10 days to produce proof of passing the ITV.
If for any reason your car fails an ITV then you will be given 2 months to make any repairs needed and return to the ITV Centre. If you make the necessary repairs and return to the ITV Centre within 15 days you may receive a 70% discount on the second ITV fee.
It is important that you do return to the ITV Centre if you fail, otherwise the ITV Centre will send a copy of your paperwork which they retained, to the Department of Traffic and inform them that this car is on the road without an ITV.
When we arrived at the ITV Centre there was no queue and all in all the whole procedure took about 15 mins. As with many official procedures in Spain, we usually dread doing these kind of chores, however, it was very organized, quick and efficient. The people were quite friendly and when we were stuck with some of the vocabulary, they helped us out either speaking very slowly or in English with no problem.
Useful Vocabulary
Headlights – Los Faros
Las Luces Traseras- Back Lights
Las Luces de los Frenos – Break lights
Izquerda – Left
Derecha – Right
El Freno de Mano – Hand Brake
El Volante – Steering Wheel
Las Escobillas –Windscreen Wipers
MALAGA-ESTEPONA (95-2803550): P.I. DE ESTEPONA; GRAHAM BELL, 15
What to expect: You arrive at the ITV station and put your vehicle in the queue. You enter the building with your car registration and ITV document, pay the fee in cash ( no credit cards accepted) and go back and wait in your vehicle. When it is your turn they will ask you to honk your horn, turn on your windscreen blades, clean the windshield. They will ask you to put on your seat belt, turn on your indicators, use your brake lights and will gauge your emissions by placing a tube in the escape pipe and they will ask you to accelerate. They check the quality of your oil.
Next you will be told to drive onto a platform where they will check to brakes and the alignment of the tyres. If your vehicle does not pass the test, they will tell you what you need to have remedied in order to successfully pass the test. When your vehicle passes the test you will be given a sticker to place on your windscreen and the ITV documentation will be returned to you with the date of the next inspection noted on the document.
Ask your mechanic to give your vehicle the once over before going to ITV- it can save you a second trip!
As not everybody has the time nor the inclination to go through the ITV inspection process, many mechanics offer this service (usually at a cost of 50-75 euros).
The ITV Centre hours are 0700 - 2145 Mon to Fri
and 0800 - 1300 on Saturday.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:15 am

Hi,
Well done Janda........... :D

Alexander1:........we cover this regularly on A.com so up to date info is available via a Search.

See........ for an unusual "Fail"..............

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24758&p=226564&hilit=mixto#p226564

Also beware certain vehicles over 10 years old require ITV every six months.......like your Kangoo...etc

As a guide It's 42.93€ for vehículo mixto adaptable (Kangoo..etc) (August 2010)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 am

f for any reason your car fails an ITV then you will be given 2 months to make any repairs needed and return to the ITV Centre. If you make the necessary repairs and return to the ITV Centre within 15 days you may receive a 70% discount on the second ITV fee.
Is it still 2 months as I thought it was 2 weeks unless you were specifically given longer in order to acquire a part for instance?

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 pm

alexander1 wrote:no credit cards accepted

Just to add to that I did pay using my bank card, so I'm assuming that statement is now out of date.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 pm

[quote="Enrique"]Hi,

Alexander1:........we cover this regularly on A.com so up to date info is available via a Search.

Enrique - I was trying to answer the original post. Why would I need or want to do a 'search' on what had been posted before? That would have been for the original poster - not me. I was merely trying to assist on what would be asked for - in Spanish - for the various questions that would be asked during the test. Please don't patronise.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi alexander1,
Sorry you took my post as a patronise.
I was just pointing out that we cover this topic on a regular basis.
So up to date info can be had from this site.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you Enrique! :)

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 am

Lots of useful information on this thread.

Our car is due for first ITV this month - one thing I am not clear about -will we be sent anything to confirm that ITV is due or is it up to us to set the ball rolling by making ITV appointment?

Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 am

If the vehicle is properly registered in your name and mail is delivered to this address you should receive a notification every time a test is due.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 am

campocaro1 wrote: will we be sent anything to confirm that ITV is due
You might. Mine arrived 2 weeks after the ITV ran out!

Just make a booking online http://www.itvcita.com/

Sid

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 am

Thinking about it, our notification was about a week late, but we only get post delivered sporadically here, so it may haver been sitting at the post office for a week, but I got an appointment for the test two days later (I had to wait 'cos I couldn't go the next day!)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:26 pm

So, we all now know when an ITV is due - every 2 years after the first test at 4 years and every year after 10 years.

I have an 11 year old car. Last year it had it's last 2 year test and this year it had to go back for its first annual test.

It duly passed and I was issued with a new sticker and a stamp in the Ficha Tecnica.

They are both dated 2 years ahead!

So, in a years time do I need a new ITV or do I wait another year?

It clearly says on my paperwork that the next test is due in 2 years!

I give up!

Sid