Exchanging driving licence

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Exchanging driving licence

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Having successfully got my International Driving Permit without the help of my Gestor I am now looking at my wife's UK licence and exchanging it for a Spanish one, and doing it ourselves.

I know it doesn't have to be done, although there may be an argument that it does, but maintaining a UK address could become cumbersome in the future. This has been covered at length in threads before.

Anyway, two questions.

1. Is there a specific application form for exchanging licences and, if so, can it be downloaded? Or is it the generic form I used for the Inetrnational Driving Permit?

2. Reading the DGT web site on this subject it says we need to provide:

Declaration in writing stating that the applicant has not been banned or suspended from driving
Declaration in writing stating that the applicant does not hold another driving licence of the same class in another country

Is there a form to sign for these declarations? If not, what is required?

Cheers
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

dxf
Resident

Re: Exchanging driving licence

Postby dxf » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi

In Cádiz trafico they will give you a form (Canje permiso) with another with printed instructions on it. They also give you a form which you have to sign within the box so they can put your signature on the driving licence.

It is a simple process well within most peoples abilities. You will need :-
your passport
NIE
Volante de empadronamiento
both parts of your licence
AND PHOTOCOPIES OF ALL THE ABOVE. (Plus money - I think 20 euros and two photos)

It is a multi-stage process; stage one they will hand you your licemce back with a piece of paper which you present in six weeks time. Then they give you a provisional licence whilst they prepare the real thing. Another six weeks later you collect the real licence.

The above information is about 6 months old and was in Cádiz; other areas use different rules and may ask for something else (like telephone number).

Davexf

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:14 am

The form for exchanging the licence can be found here:

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/contenido ... ellano.pdf

I have heard that DGT will provide a form to sign regarding the declaration but I would be inclined to go armed with a written one in your own words just in case.
Let's go Brandon!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks Beach. I'll cobble something up, just in case. I don't remember what I signed when I did my licence but I did thatthrough the Gestor and just signed whatever she gave me.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:13 am

On the form, what are they wanting in the box that says "Centro de Reconomiento"? Is it UK DVLA?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:26 am

Campo Steve wrote:On the form, what are they wanting in the box that says "Centro de Reconomiento"? Is it UK DVLA?
That's the name & address of the medical centre where ( if ) you had the medical.
Todos somos Lorca.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:09 pm

And if you don´t have a photocard licence what do you do then? Do you need the international one first?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:24 pm

You can exchange a non photo Uk licence for a spanish one without needing anything else. Just make sure you put down every group that you require on the spanish licence & make sure you keep photo-copies for yourself in case of anything missing. I'd also do that when exchanging a photo-card licence & moreso in any dealings with the Dvla.
Todos somos Lorca.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 am

Definately make copies. When I exchanged mine they missed off the bike. Thought I was going to have a fight with DVLA but Trafico admitted it was their mistake and sent a replacement within a week.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 pm

My UK Driving Licence expires later this year, so, having read here how straightforward exchanging it for a Spanish Licence was, I ventured last week to do it myself. Bad idea!

First, the Traffico people in Málaga wouldn't accept the photos because they were too large - they were UK Passport sized photos I had taken last year when I renewed my UK Passport. Apparently, Spanish ones are smaller (so much for EU uniformity).

Secondly, they would not accept the Medical Certificate issued in 2008 despite my understanding that the certificate is valid for 5 years.

Thirdly, they would not accept the Volante De Empadronamiento which was issued in June last year. No explanation just rejection! Presumably they have an expiry date!

So, a wasted journey to Málaga, expense in getting more photos, another medical and another Volante De Empadronamiento. Not bank breaking costs just a major annoyance. I've thrown in the towel and handed the whole over to a Gestor! Such is life! :?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 pm

The information on the DGT site clearly shows the required photo sizes.

My medical certificate clearly states that it is valid for 90 days.

Padron certificates are only valid for 90 days although it does not state this on them.

This has all been covered before on the forum.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi

Can I say that you need resilience when dealing with bureaucracy. If at first you don't succeed then simply go back and learn from the experience. That way you will actually enjoy Spain more

Davexf

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Sid, clearly I missed the info you say was covered here before and I am suitably chastised! Unfortunately, neither of the documents I had gave any indication of their period of validity. I am now a wiser man! Only posting here to record my experience given that earlier posts suggested it was all so straightforward and logical! Coming to think about it I don't think the words "logical" and "Spain" ever go together!

Davexf, you certainly need resilience but I'm not sure I'm such a masochist that I want to spend my time battling against Spanish bureaucracy! There are better ways of enjoying life.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:39 pm

masterob wrote: you certainly need resilience but I'm not sure I'm such a masochist that I want to spend my time battling against Spanish bureaucracy! There are better ways of enjoying life.
I agree with that!

Some things are easy and others are difficult. Dealing with Tafico is not one of the easy ones - your decision to use a gestor makes sense and is pretty cheap.

I have used gestors on many occasions for the tricky stuff and they have saved me 10 times what I have spent on them, in both time and money.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi

I totally disagree - the satisfaction that comes from "beating the system" is Priceless - worth every penny and more.

The knowledge gained can then help you next time; yes there is a "learning curve". But you would be surprised at the kudos you gain in the bar (and the pints offered if you will help someone)

But each to their own - perhaps I have a sad life if I get satisfaction this way :lol:

Davexf

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am

The medical certificate does only last 90 days , but once accepted by the trafico is valid for the period of the spanish licence . When used ,in conjunction with an UK licence it has the same validity, but only for 5 years. ( This might have gone up to 10 now as they were changing spanish licence validity, for cars, to 10 year validity ). The empadronamiento doesn't have an expiry date as such , BUT, no official spanish government dept. will accept one that is over 90 days old. :roll: No idea why , there must have been a reason but it's probably lost in the realms of time.
Todos somos Lorca.

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 am

Just to add to this, I applied to exchange my UK licence for a Spanish one last month. I have to admit it was daunting at first but a very simple process in the end although I do believe it depends who is on the desk in Trafico at the time!
I went to the Málaga office and presented the required documents which were listed on the form I was given at the information desk. I needed a medical certificate which was easily and swiftly obtained at a centre nearby.
About 3 weeks later I received an email (in perfect English!) telling me that my licence was ready for collection and an appointment to collect it. When I collected it I was told it was a temporary licence and my full Spanish licence would be ready to collect in 4 weeks. That is 2 weeks from now so if it is ready then the whole procedure was reasonably quick and straightforward.
In my opinion a simple tip is to attempt to speak as much Spanish as you know, admit you are not familiar with the system and need some assistance and most importantly...smile, even if you don't feel like doing so!

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Crazydiamond

Brilliantly put - correct attitude for officialdom

Davexf

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Has anyone had experience of exchanging their UK driving licence (non photo) in Granada province?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:19 am

gus-lopez wrote:The empadronamiento doesn't have an expiry date as such , BUT, no official spanish government dept. will accept one that is over 90 days old. :roll: No idea why , there must have been a reason but it's probably lost in the realms of time.
yes, because you might of moved in the last 3 months ? and you might be pulling a fast one and they need to know where you live to send you the fines and your word is not good enough, they dont know you from adam. :thumbup:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.